2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L VVTL-i from North America

The best sport coupe not named

Nothing's gone wrong so far. The exterior styling makes a little blindspot on the left rear quarter; but it's OK. Use your mirrors! Another complaint (that will probably be fixed quickly) is that the aftermarket for this car is small for now. I wouldn't worry about that though; I'm sure those companies will get their act together.

General Comments:

This car is frickin' awesome! I've driven a Civic Si and an Integra GS-R, and this car outclasses it in interior comforts and stock performance. I'm just waiting for that damn aftermarket...

Review Date: 19th June, 2000

14th May 2007, 21:08

I hate it when someone puts 200 miles on a car and tells me how great their car is! Wait till it has a few thousand miles before you post please! Thanks.

25th Jan 2008, 21:13

If it's such a good car (I don't doubt your comments), why the sad smiley then?

2000 Toyota Celica GT-S 1.8L Inline 4 VVTL-i from North America

Fun to drive, lovely automobile

Pressure-point on clutch pedal adjusted higher.

General Comments:

I love the car. Tight handling, short shifting, all around a real joy to drive. Only downside I've found is the lack of horse power, which I would have liked to be higher - in the 200 range as opposed to 180. Also would have liked to see a turbo option offered. But the way it is stock, it's still peppy.

Review Date: 7th June, 2000

2000 Toyota Celica VVTI 1.8 petrol from UK and Ireland

Forget Fiat, Alfa Romeo and other crap Italian cars, this Japanese machine means business!

General Comments:

Looks drop-dead sexy in Astral Black with the big alloys and bodykit.

LOVE the interior, wipes the floor with the equivalent Alfa Romeo. Six-speed gearbox an absolute joy. Sony Radio CD Cassette very good. Dealers top-notch. Even the doors make a nice sound when shut!!!!

Review Date: 16th May, 2000

14th Feb 2001, 13:04

The Celica may be distinctive, but stylish in the vein of the Fiat Coupe, Alfa GTV and 156? - most definitely not!! These cars will be icons in 20 years time. The Celica? - nope - it's a car with looks to appeal to your average 17 year old reader of "Max Power".

2000 Toyota Celica GT 1.8 from North America

Car flipped in car totalling accident the first time my 17 year old drove it. Just 200 miles at 3 days old.

Attracted a carjacking incident (close call) our first night out.

General Comments:

The car really held together in a really major wreak (flipped 6 times at high speed with 3 occupants) with only 1 fracture and several cuts and bumps between three teens.

Great car, but keep away from inexperienced drivers!!

Review Date: 15th November, 1999

4th Dec 2000, 17:38

I also totalled this car two weeks after purchasing it with 1600 miles on it. Ran into a stopped car at 60 mph on the freeway with no injuries. The lack of ABS resulted in the brakes locking up so I could not avoid the car that pulled out in front of me on the freeway.

17th Aug 2001, 13:28

Great to hear that everyone was OK! Thanks for the post. Gives me some comfort in driving my 2000 Celica GT! :-)