1989 Toyota Corolla GTS 1.6 4A-GE Twin Cam from North America

Summary:

Trustworthy, economical, quick

One fuel injector failed.

Drivetrain has some slop.

Oil leaks from distributor and transmission.

Rear shocks worn from years on a long gravel road.

Cruise control doesn't work.

Lifter tick.

Milky oil, changed head gasket to discover that it had just been condensation under the valve cover from driving short trips in winter.

Check engine light comes on occasionally for faulty EGR valve.

General Comments:

Has been a reliable daily driver since I bought it. Yes, I bought the car with 290,000 miles. I figured that if it had gone that far, why not a bit further?

Previous owner was a Toyota certified mechanic, he rebuilt the engine and replaced the transmission.

I average 30mpg, the tiny 10 gallon tank lasts me several weeks.

So far the largest expenses have been my fault, I misdiagnosed the failed injector as bad CV joints (shuddering at speed), so I replaced the joints to no effect. Once I figured out the real problem, a new injector was easy to install. I bought new shocks, haven't installed them yet though. Changed head gasket for no reason, milky oil from condensation that I misdiagnosed as blown head gasket, only cost a few bucks and a weekend though.

On a positive note, this thing is quick and fun to drive. Power sunroof works fine, heater is powerful, good sound from factory system, seats are comfortable.

Review Date: 31st August, 2010

2nd Oct 2010, 14:40

Update: Odd problem when weather is damp, the instrument cluster lights up when I hit the brakes, even if the car is off! I suspect the brake light circuit is energizing the running light circuit via bad connections in tail light cluster. Think I may have fixed it, with new bulbs and liberal use of sandpaper, silicone sealant and WD40.

1989 Toyota Corolla All Wheel Drive from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

These were a great car!

General Comments:

I haven't had this car long. I bought it from a deceased estate when my old '85 Hilux ute died after 470000km. I only had to clean it up to get the roadworthy, and since then I've done about a thousand kilometres.

What a great car! I've used it down in the paddocks with the diff locked to haul out a couple of loads of firewood, and I've sailed along the freeway in a car that feels like new, but is almost vintage and has done over 600,000km.

I'm guessing this is the second motor, as it runs so well, and has the best fuel economy I've had for a while. Why don't they still make these? I'd love to have a new one.

Review Date: 8th June, 2010

1989 Toyota Corolla All Trac from North America

Summary:

A very reliable car

There is a lot of rust below the doors on both sides of the car.

I didn't drive it for a while, and it needed a new starter.

Only one speaker works.

The car is very ugly.

General Comments:

It gets good miles to the gallon.

It's a very very reliable car for being 21 years old.

The interior is blue and looks very ugly.

Review Date: 19th May, 2010

1989 Toyota Corolla GT-S 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

It's a Toyota and it is a manual. Great on gas and pretty fast

Just got it. The only problem to me is I love using 93, and it's costly to fill.

General Comments:

So far so good. Drove it home, and it seems like a great running car, very quick for what it is. Was looking for a AE86, found this AE92, and it is just as nice. Handling great so far, gas gauge has not moved.

Review Date: 12th March, 2010

18th Oct 2010, 21:51

I just bought a GT-S a week ago from a woman who almost cried when I bought it. The only thing she said was wrong with the car is that you can't put more than 10 dollars of gas in it. Well I commute to work and needed more gas, now the car keeps stalling and is very sluggish.

I love this car and could use some advice.