1998 Toyota Corolla GS 2.0D from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Reliability, value for money, but has image problem

The only thing that has gone wrong was the alarm that went off at 4 am for no apparent reason, and continued to sound until I disconnected the battery.

Up until then I did not think the car had one!

A mechanic said it was a common fault, due to moisture in the connections and now the siren has been disconnected. One day I may buy another siren, but at £30+ it can wait.

General Comments:

The image and performance of this car are the only problems.

My wife, and friends tell me it's an old man's car, which is not helped by its purple, grey, silver affair paintwork, and 'interesting' cloth fabric on the seats. But I suppose it must appeal to some people.

The performance is OK. The lack of a turbo on this model makes for how progress, and the chances of getting caught on a speed camera are near impossible, unless you get a very long run up!

The leg room in the back is a bit small. This seems to have been given to the boot space which seems enormous.

However the car is a work tool, not a fashion statement, and does the job brilliantly. Toyota reliabilty. Air conditioning and sunroof. Adjustable seat and steering wheel. All this and much cheaper than a Volkswagen Golf bought second hand.

Golf may have the edge in the style, but the Corolla beats it hands down in the value for money game!

Review Date: 5th May, 2004

1998 Toyota Corolla G6 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not the cheapest secondhand buy - but a cracking little car

The car had just been serviced at the time of purchase, by the Toyota main dealer that we bought it from. Two hundred miles later whilst parked we noticed oil all over the road when it was parked. The oil filter had not been put on correctly! The local (different) Toyota dealer checked it over (and did another oil change) and everything has been OK since.

The only other fault was the 'airbag' warning light being constantly on. A Toyota dealer (different again!) checked it out and said there was no fault and made the warning light function correctly - free of charge.

The alloy wheels corroded very badly and leaked air. This was remedied by a new set of TSW alloys (which are much nicer than the Toyota ones anyway).

General Comments:

This is a truly wonderful car. It corners like it's on rails, performance is good for a 1.3 litre engine. Fuel economy, road tax and insurance are all very reasonable. The spec is excellent, two airbags, air conditioning, ABS brakes and more. The use of space inside is very good for a small car, with a decent sized boot.

It might have been a different story if the oil filter leak had caused major problems, but it's a bit unfair to slate Toyota for this.

The six speed gearbox is a delight to use, but if you have two cars you've got to be a little careful because gear 6 is where reverse is on most cars!

Review Date: 16th March, 2004

12th Jul 2007, 06:18

Good review although I didn't know that they had 6 gears. This would be a bonus as it reduces the revs and hence better economy. I can't wait to go and buy one at the end of the year.

1998 Toyota Corolla CE 1.8 from North America

Summary:

This car sucks; big time

My seat belt light continues to blink from about 40000 miles. It may be a serious problem if it is not registering that I have my seat belt on.

I now have 107000 miles and the car has no power to even pass another car on the freeway. I wish that I got a Honda instead.

I have had two alignments and still feel a drift to the right at times.

My brakes wear out extremely fast for a small car. I change them every 25-30 thousand miles. And I use ceramic pads.

My air conditioner is also very weak. My girlfriend has a Tecel and her a/c is more powerful that mine is.

And my head lights continue to burn out rapidly. I believe there is a problem with a steady current flow to the lights. I am of course out of my warranty.

General Comments:

Don't buy a Toyota. the sales team there give no breaks and they take advantage of people everyday.

I was not happy with this purchase and will never buy another Toyota again.

One good note about this corolla is that the stereo is easy to install.

The speakers are also pretty good.

Review Date: 26th July, 2003

9th Sep 2003, 06:06

If you need more power, take the bottom off the air filter box, costs nothing and guaranteed to give you more boost.

Works for any Fuel Injected car.

23rd Jan 2007, 23:14

I have had several Corolla's and never had any of these problems..

14th Jun 2007, 20:30

Those were lame comments, your girlfriends ac is more powerful.. i really feel for you, poor guy.