1998 Toyota Corolla Reviews - Page 9 of 12

1998 Toyota Corolla GLX class 1.6lt from Israel

Model year1999
Engine and transmission 1.6lt Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Carisma

Summary:

Very reliable and economic car

The rubber dust covers on shock absorbers dried and torn away. But this is not a serious problem. A joint rubber cover on the front stabilizer rod was torn.

General Comments:

Very reliable car. All the mechanical problems I had are really minor for a car with 97000km mileage. Very quite and comfortable ride, also pretty good handling.

Also very economic on fuel, it takes 7liters per 100km.

Review Date: 4th January, 2006

1998 Toyota Corolla LX from North America

Model year1998
First year of ownership1998
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

A Corolla is inexpensive to drive and will last until you buy a new one.

The only complaint I have ever had with Toyota's are the brakes. For some reason I am forever replacing the brakes.

General Comments:

The last 4 vehicles I bought were Toyota's.

I had a 1992 Corolla before this one and I traded it in with 284,000 on it.

At that time the only major money put into this car was maintenance.

I put brakes on it and 2 timing belts.

This Corolla was a manual transmission and I traded it in with the original clutch.

The newer '98 has 178000 miles and I have never had to replace anything other than a battery and the brakes. I.

Review Date: 16th January, 2005

4th Aug 2007, 19:37

Hi, I don't recall the 1998 being available in an "LX". There was the VE, the CE (which I have), and the LE. Never heard of "LX". Might have to push the "inappropriate" button here!

1998 Toyota Corolla LE 1.8 from North America

Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Fast, Reliable, Cheap, economy car

Just the common wear and tear.

Clutch going soon, getting new one soon. Little pricey 631$ for a Stage 1 performance clutch.

General Comments:

This car is a very good car. I have raced many car's and very few beat me. My greatest wins are a 350 97 Cammaro, and 2005 v6 Mustang.

The handling is OK for your common driver, I drive on the wild side and it keeps up with me for the most part.

The front seats are very comfortable, and you can fit five people in the car with out squishing them. I have had seven people in my car the only problem was it was a little low to the ground.

I have Intake, exhaust on the car, it sounds beastly sounds almost like putting a Flow Master on a truck. It dosnt sound riced and crackle at high RPMs.

This is a very good economy car. I highly recommend this car.

Review Date: 15th December, 2004

16th Dec 2004, 16:42

Car-Stats Report for 1998 Toyota Corolla LE. Obtained from MT December, 1997.

0-60: 10.3

1/4 Mile: 17.6

1/4 Speed: 80.

I've no doubt that you enjoy driving your car, but let's be realistic about performance shall we? Intake and exhaust on a NA 120hp engine isn't going to give you much of a noticeable performance gain at all. A V6 'stang may be slow as balls, but it's not THAT slow...

"Ford says automatic-transmission base model to account for bulk of sales. It has good 0-60-mph acceleration; Ford estimates 7.5 sec" - http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/

14th Mar 2006, 18:30

V-8 Camaro yes, V-6 Mustang... a joke hell I've seen a Ford Aspire out run one of those yugos in disguise.

1998 Toyota Corolla 1.6GLi 4A-FE Twin Cam 16v 1.6L petrol from Singapore

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission 4A-FE Twin Cam 16v 1.6L petrol Manual

Summary:

A quick, reliable and durable sedan

Front electric window (Driver's side) failed at 88000km.

Door switch on the B pillar failed at 75000km.

Front brake pads have started to squaek (98000km). I reckon this means it's time for me to renew the pads.

General Comments:

My family got this car on Christmas eve 1999.

Since then it's provided us with a honest to goodness form of transport.

It's very reliable and the built quality is really second to none.

In the 4.5 years we had had this Toyota, only the above faults were experienced.

Other than which, consumables such as engine oil, oil filter, manual transmision oil, coolant, tires, brake fluid etc were replaced as per manufacturer's recommendation.

The car still has the original shocks, clutch and brake disc.

The 1.6L engine is quick, refined and quiet and at the same time responsible for it's fuel usage. 0-100Km/hr timings were given as 10s flat in a local motoring magazine and fuel consumption's at 12.5-13 km/L of petrol.

Front seats are comfortable though space at the rear is a little limited. This can be a little irritating on long trips to neighboring Malaysia. The suspension is tuned for comfort rather than for performance so expect severe body roll when executing hard cornering.

The steering is light and the the 5 speed manual gearbox is a breeze to use.

On the whole, there can be no doubt that Toyota makes some of the most reliable cars in the world though for design wise, the Europeans and the Americans such as Volks and Ford would beat the Japanese hands down. Toyota cars are indeed made to last and I would recommend it to anyone who wants reliability and durability at a decent price.

Review Date: 4th June, 2004