2001 Toyota Corolla Reviews - Page 2 of 10

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 1.6 VVTi 16v Manual
Most recent distance71900 miles
Previous carToyota Estima Emina

Summary:

Strong, reliable, friendly

This car was built in 2001, so it has done very well.

I had to replace the rear to front brake pipes on this car when I purchased it; that's the only fault... Amazing!!

General Comments:

I cannot fault this car.

When I got it, I immediately put some oil treatment in the engine oil, then flushed it out; it was very black, so a lot of gunk was removed. Replaced the oil and filter using 5w-40w oil, and the engine purred like a kitten.

If you treat the car with some respect, like keeping everything clean, including in the engine bay, I'm sure these cars will last.

I owned a Toyota Estima before this car, 18 years old it was, but with care it is still running well with the new owner.

I like Toyota cars, and will buy them every time. To me they are the most reliable of them all.

This Corolla is running like a new car, and will continue for a long time to come. The engine is strong, very reliable, and is easy to maintain. Mileage is around 40 MPG; better than 19 with the Estima. Starts every time and drives well.

There is a little road noise, but you get this with most hatchbacks.

Review Date: 25th May, 2012

2001 Toyota Corolla XEi 1.8 gasoline from Brazil

Model year2002
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.8 gasoline Manual
Previous carFord Ka

Summary:

Very good if you never had better

Basically, I got this car with loads of problems. The Corolla gave me a very bad first impression.

1 - The manual transmission was leaking oil. Even though this issue is solved.. up to date it still doesn't feel right.

2 - I can feel the acceleration, the engine effort on my feet, which I don't like... I think cars should be perfect and silent tools, a levitating brick if you will.

3 - The mat on the driver's side is always moving with my feet. It goes over the pedals sometimes... terrible.

4 - The steering wheel oil cable was leaking too.. I had to replace the oil every month or so. It has stopped leaking after repairs, but somehow I had to replace that oil again. Don't know if it evaporates or whatever.

5 - If you are not driving on a mattress, you can hear noises from all doors... it's annoying how this car looks like Lego plastic.

6 - I had to replace a piece called 'lambda probe' or whatever... it calculates the gas/air combination.

7 - The A/C motor had to be replaced; it was making an amazing annoying sound that could be heard a mile away, whenever I had the A/C on.

General Comments:

I find it amazing that the insurance for this car and the market is better than Chrysler's... so many customers like this piece of trash. Maybe because they never had anything better, or just because they're too humble.

The only reason that forces me to buy another, is the insurance value in Brazil, which is 1/8 of any Chrysler's.

Review Date: 8th November, 2011

8th Feb 2013, 04:06

My Toyota 2001 VVTI has a very high oil consumption problem, which also clogs up the lambda sensors, which are very expensive to change repeatedly.

The engine oil consumption has no fix, other than to change to a new engine.

I hate Toyota VVTI technology.

2001 Toyota Corolla GLS 1.4 VVTi from UK and Ireland

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.4 VVTi Manual
Most recent distance32000 miles
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Quirky looks, but superb car behind them

I am writing this review on my Father's car, which he has had for the last 6 years, and to date, the only thing that I have had to replace on it for him was the rear exhaust box support strap, which corroded through. The exhaust itself is still the original, after 10 years on the car, and still seems very solid. Granted, he doesn't do many miles in the car, as he is now 70, and only uses it for short local runs, but it has always started, and has never let him down.

One problem I found was that when I went to switch the A/C on, the button pushed through the dashboard! I had to get my hand up behind the dash to push it back into its housing - he subsequently put a screw into it to stop it happening again.

Otherwise, it's been impeccably reliable.

General Comments:

This car is pretty ugly in my opinion, but it's not my car! However, it redeems itself with its ride quality, and the inside is definitely a better place to look at the car from than the outside.

It is a second facelift of the early 90's Corolla shape, and is very long in the tooth in its body shape, but the dreadful first facelift with the frog eyed front has now been toned down, so this model doesn't look quite so hideous from the front. This second facelift wasn't made for long though before Toyota finally retired it for the all new Corolla in late 2001.

My father loves it though, and I have noticed that this model of Toyota does seem to be favoured by the retired generation, although I'm no one to talk, as I own a Rover 45.

The car, being the GLS, is the top of the range model, and has all the bells and whistles, and a very ergonomic dash layout, with the radio display at eye level in the top of the dash. It has nice comfy seats, but the sunroof reduces headroom, and I found this to be limited for me when sat in the drivers seat, and when getting into the car, as the doors don't extend into the roofline.

The engine is very responsive for its size, and acceleration is remarkably quick, as this 1.4 VVTi was a new engine in this model line, replacing the earlier 1.3 units. It also gets a very good fuel economy figure of in excess of 40mpg, which my father also likes, given the price of fuel these days.

In summing up, this car is not for the fashion conscious, and its looks are like Marmite - you either love them, or hate them, but it's a very good car if you can live with its looks, and don't care what other people think.

Prices for these cars seem to be holding up as well, as people still want them down to Toyota's legendary reliability, and I would have to agree that this car has been no exception to the rule.

My overall rating for this car is 8 out of 10, but its looks are the polarising factor, which otherwise spoil a very good car.

Review Date: 15th February, 2011

1st Apr 2013, 14:34

Excellent review. Have one myself and this mirrors my views.