13th Mar 2015, 03:58

I am in Zambia and own the 1998 Harrier. I had this problem also, which I sorted out myself. The cause of that is a defective rear brake light. There is a brake light just under the rear spoiler on the rear window screen. There was something loose, and when I just touched there, the problem was gone for good. Hope this will also work out for you! Good luck.

13th May 2015, 13:49

23rd Jun 2015, 20:09

You said: I have a Lexus RX300 with a gear problem. Can I use another gear (e.g. 2MZ gear) on it?

You can only use the gearbox for your car - if it is a 1999 to 2003 4WD Harrier or RX300, it's the 4-speed U140F gearbox. The gearbox communicates with the other computers in the car, and everything must receive the correct codes or you'll get an error message which will put the car into "get-you-home" mode with limited engine revs and no 4th gear.

I found that a faulty ignition coil gave me a check engine light, which stopped the gearbox working in manual mode and it wouldn't go into 4th gear - there was nothing wrong with the gearbox, but the engine problem restricted the gearbox's functions.

The most fragile part in the U140F gearbox is the front planetary gears - they were very weak. Toyota made stronger gears for the 2003 model onwards (and gave the gearbox 5-speeds, the U151F, I think), and the uprated parts became available to replace the weak gears in the U140F, so if you get your U140F gearbox rebuilt, make sure you get the updated part number for the replacement planetary gears.

For the reasons I gave above, you can't use a U151F gearbox in a pre-2003 RX or Harrier - the computers won't like it.

My 2000 Harrier gearbox with 120,000 miles (200,000 km) failed to go into drive one day, but I kept revving it and trying forward, reverse, forward, and eventually it worked. After I changed the gearbox oil and filter, it has been OK since then.

For this gearbox to work properly and last well, make sure there are no engine error codes, and change the gearbox oil and filter regularly - good luck!

10th Jul 2015, 08:22

Anyone found how to re-program Japanese to English yet? I can't even correct the clock. I own a 1998 model. It's a great car to drive.

23rd Jul 2015, 12:08

Bought a 1998 Harrier Four 3.0 six months ago. Engine oil is leaking from the engine. What is the cause?

1st Jan 2016, 05:00

My RX300 has the same clock problem; mine has a TV switch where the clock switch is shown in the manual. Where is the clock switch, or how do I change the clock?

29th Mar 2016, 07:57

Fully-synthetic engine oil can last up to 10,000km.

19th Sep 2016, 15:48

Change gear sensor.

19th Oct 2016, 20:15

I am also experiencing the same problems with my Harrier. It's engaging in gear no. 4. Please help.

20th Oct 2016, 11:51

I have a problem. My CD changer was removed from the slot. Where can I find it? I want to buy one; I'm in Zambia. The whole housing is there, it's intact, it's the loader which is removable that is what was removed. I was told that if you can find it, it is easy to fix.

And I'm also experiencing a hard start; what could be the problem?

The car is a Harrier 3.0 1mz engine V6.