1988 Toyota Pickup from North America

Summary:

This truck is a monster

Clutch went out after 20 years.

Brake fluid started leaking after 23 years.

Review Date: 1st September, 2011

1988 Toyota Pickup r22 from North America

Summary:

Greatest LUV truck ever

After I pulled it out of the woods behind my grandfather's house, oil leaked like I was trying to hold it in a sieve.

Seats were worn out when I got it from windows being left down.

General Comments:

My grandfather bought this truck brand new, and drove it for 10 years, then parked it behind his house and let it sit for about 6 years. When me and my dad pulled it out, and decided to try and get it running again, we ended up spending about $150 to get it running, which included replacing gas, cleaning the carb. and replacing brakes, and it ran like new. Didn't have to replace the clutch until 250,000 miles; that's a stock clutch mind you.

I did end having to pour old oil into the engine just to keep oil in it, because if I didn't the whole engine would run dry in about 2 weeks, but I worked at a shop at the time, so this was no big deal; I would just pour other people's old oil into my truck. It ran great for another 4 years while I put another 400,000 miles on it. Then one month ago I lent it to my sister, and she didn't know you have to check the oil so often, and fried the engine.

We ended up rebuilding the engine, and it ran alright, but never liked doing highway speeds after that. Then about 3 months later the block split, and I tried to find a new engine, but down here in the south people use the r22's for baby boomer racing, so the cheapest I could find was one for almost $2,000 that had 250,000 miles on it. It wasn't worth it, so I scrapped it, but without a doubt, the best little truck I ever owned.

Review Date: 26th August, 2011

1988 Toyota Pickup 22RE from North America

Summary:

Great ride for young guys who like the woods

My 1988 Toyota is great. Although I have had a few problems.

My biggest problem was the air flow. The sensor got stuck wide open, and it ran horribly for about a week til I could break it down and fix it.

I'm the second owner. When I got it, it had 125000 miles, and now it has 316000 (original motor). Maybe it will make it to 600000, but if it didn't, I wouldn't be disappointed.

A great ride indeed.

General Comments:

The seats are a little worn, and I wouldn't mind a little more room in the cab, but that's what a 'yota is all about!!

Review Date: 17th February, 2011

1988 Toyota Pickup Base 22R Carb from North America

Summary:

Energizer Bunny would own this pickup

At 125K repaired oil leak, replaced radiator, alternator at miles plugs and wires about the same time.

When I had it down for the oil leak repair, I changed the timing chain, oil pump and water pump.

General Comments:

Only complaint - Bench seat worn out and needs rebuilding.

Review Date: 19th January, 2011

1988 Toyota Pickup from North America

Summary:

Growing up with this truck has made me a huge fan of Toyota, and I plan on always driving a Toyota

Glad I read about everyone's clutch, because I've been wondering what the deal is with my truck. Gonna check that out, though it's not a huge deal.

Overall not bad for a REALLY OLD truck that is now an heirloom (my father gave her to me 7 years ago)! :D.

General Comments:

Its easy to see why the interiors of vehicles have been redesigned over the last 22 years, when going from my old truck to friends newer vehicles. The important thing is that she "keeps on truckin" with so many miles!

Review Date: 10th July, 2010

1988 Toyota Pickup EFI 3.0 V6 3v-ZE from North America

Summary:

Best vehicle owned

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

My pickup is easily the best vehicle I have ever had. I have put 50,000 miles on it and not a single issue. Recently got the timing belt changed so I can look forward to 50,000 more.

Find a cared for Toyota and you will never go back. Even my gas mileage is decent at almost 20 mpg highway.

I have used it as my daily driver for more than 3 years.

Review Date: 8th December, 2008