1988 Toyota Pickup Reviews - Page 4 of 4

1988 Toyota Pickup short bed from Japan

First year of ownership1987
Engine and transmission Manual

Summary:

Long-lasting

The worst thing is the clutch seal keeps leaking and replacing it costs 200-400 bucks. So right now I am just keeping a watch on the clutch fluid and topping it off when necessary. My mechanic, known since before I got this truck, says he has seen several with the same problem. Other than that, it's been very good. I intend to keep it.

General Comments:

Acceleration is still very good. Best to keep some weights in the truck bed, though, as you could fishtail in ice and rainy weather.

Review Date: 5th October, 2003

30th Oct 2003, 15:03

I agree with your experience. No problems as I have driven standard 1988 Toyota Pickup between 147K and 180K miles. I can't find an owner's/shop manual and wonder what weight the truck will tow safely, without damaging something...

28th Dec 2003, 12:04

My clutch stopped working so I checked the fluid reservoir, and it was empty. I topped it up and let it sit for a day, but the gears still won't engage. Do I have to prime it somehow to get the gear oil into the transmission? The clutch feels very loose.

1988 Toyota Pickup SR5 3.0L V6 EFI from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 EFI Automatic
Most recent distance220000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Wonderful all around truck

When I bought the truck, the leaf springs were straight and needed to be replaced. The spark plugs, alternator belt, timing chain, and brakes all needed replacement as well.

There were a good number of oil leaks in the engine.

Four blown fuses.

NOTE: All these were original problems with the vehicle. Since replacement two and a half years ago, everything is running fine.

General Comments:

Capable of serious offroading (4WD models).

Very reliable- I've always gotten where I needed to go.

Great gas mileage.

This truck is great for a first-time driver, or just for anyone who wants to have fun.

Luckily, replacement parts are usually inexpensive, because some stock parts are cheap.

Review Date: 21st April, 2003

1988 Toyota Pickup 4x2 Longbed 22re, 2.4 liter from North America

First year of ownership1989
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 22re, 2.4 liter Automatic
Most recent distance200200 miles

Summary:

Tough truck

Body rust.

General Comments:

Besides body rust which I heard was corrected in 1989, this truck has been unbelievably reliable. I never adjusted the valves, always changed the oil at 2500 miles, replaced a starter, a radiator, and the usual, but have all other original engine components. I've had problems with several area Toyota service dealers so I learned to fix the truck myself and plan to bring it to 300,00 miles.

Review Date: 28th June, 2000

1988 Toyota Pickup EFI - Shortbed 22R 2.4L from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 22R 2.4L

Little things that one would expect from a car with 150,000 miles on it. But nothing a short trip down to the local parts store wouldn't fix. My biggest complaint is that the rear brakes make a large squeal when stopping at low speeds. But I was told this was normal. I did replace idler arm.

General Comments:

Excellent truck. Although 2WD, I have taken it off road numerous times with only one mishap, a flat tire (and prob the idler arm). Of course I shouldn't have been doing 60mph I would imagine.

I've even towed a 2.5 ton vehicle with it with no probs.

Review Date: 28th January, 1998

30th Jul 2002, 20:01

I bought my 1988 Toyota pickup long bed in 1999 at 62k and outside regular maintenance I had to replace the brakes at 110k. It's now at 118k and running great. The only quirk with it is that it squeals like a pig when I turn sharply, and there's some rust on the rear panels. Gas mileage could be better, only 23 mpg on the highway, but low maintenance costs makes up the difference. It's a great reliable truck.