1988 Toyota Pickup Reviews - Page 2 of 4

1988 Toyota Pickup 4x4 2.4 gr from North America

First year of ownership1988
Engine and transmission 2.4 gr Manual
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

Keeps on going

Only the regular stuff to happen with truck with the miles.

General Comments:

I love it, brought it new, done the regular maintenance, and no problems, The truck has never let me down.

I have been stuck before and the only reason was the tires.

This my baby and I would not trade or sale; going to keep driving till it will not go anymore.

I would tell anyone to get one, and with regular maintenance it keeps on going and going.

The AMERICAN AUTOS SHOULD BE THIS GOOD AND WE ARE GETTING THERE. The sad thing about it is that we gave the technology to Japan years ago.

Review Date: 6th May, 2008

1988 Toyota Pickup 22RE 2.4 from North America

Engine and transmission 22RE 2.4 Manual
Distance when acquired282000 miles
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

Durable, capable off-road

Alternator and power steering belts broke.

Weather stripping is coming out of windshield.

Stock radio doesn't turn down in volume well.

Clutch spring as squeaking (nothing that WD couldn't fix).

General Comments:

I just bought this truck a few months ago. When I first got it, two belts broke on two different days.

I put cooper discover AT-R tires on it (30x9.50).

It's got a lot of miles and has been beat on. I've gotten mud up to the bumper and made it out first try.

I've got it stuck twice. The first time I slid into a snowdrift of about 3 feet deep. Second time I fell through the snow and bottomed out on the transfer case.

Besides basic tune-up and the tires, I've only replaced the muffler with a glass pack. Mileage is going down, I'm going to run Sea-foam. It's no powerhouse but I have respect for it.

Review Date: 28th March, 2008

1988 Toyota Pickup Std Cab base model 22r carburated from North America

Engine and transmission 22r carburated Manual

Summary:

The best series of truck period

Intake manifold gasket leak 108,000 miles.

Some body rust it is almost 20 years old.

General Comments:

I purchased this truck as a secondary vehicle for commuting since it is getting 27-29mpg.

Selling my new other brand truck for another truck similar to this with 4wd.

Review Date: 12th December, 2007

1988 Toyota Pickup sr5 2.4L 22r 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.4L 22r 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carToyota Tundra

The only thing I had wrong with this truck is that the front main seal had to be replaced and the clutch seal as well. since then, I have never had a problem with it.

General Comments:

Truck is very reliable and very economical. this thing is a tank, it can't be stopped. I have taken very good care of it though and I hate to have to sell it, I am afraid of newer vehicles.

Review Date: 4th April, 2007

1988 Toyota Pickup SR5 Ext. Cab Pick-up 4x4 22 RE from North America

Year of manufacture1987
First year of ownership1987
Engine and transmission 22 RE Manual
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Wondering how they can have the reputation they do when the vehicle I have is junk

Cylinder Head twice, header crack, both mirrors fell off, bad radiator, starter, alternator, water pump, thermostat, clutch and clutch master cylinder, heater fan, heater fan rheostat, ac switch and ac system, tail light wiring, horn, sticky 4x4 gear, squeaks in steering, bad fuel gauge sending unit, sticky throttle body and idle adjustment impossible to get right, many more problems.

General Comments:

A real piece of junk ever since I bought it brand new and the Dealer kept telling me "they all do that".

I guess they all must have defective cylinder heads that leak coolant into the cylinders, have rear view side mirrors that fall off for no reason, timing chains that break when guides wear out, header pipes that crack, 4x4 gear that does not disengage, 2 idle adjustments that don't work, steering that squeaks when turned to one side or the other, defective cooling systems, and are generally difficult to work on and expensive to fix.

Toyota thinks they are too good to have recalls. Don't buy one. They are total junk and their service people are hacks.

If you like Japanese buy Nissan or Ifiniti (I give them an excellent rating). Even the Toyota Indy race car uses an Infiniti engine. What does that tell you?

I'm going back to Chevy and so far I'm loving it :)

Review Date: 20th October, 2005

31st Oct 2005, 09:06

I have an 1987 Toyota EFI 4x4. The only things I have had problems with is a bad fuel gauge, horn, and funny shifting problems from the automatic transmission, but hey it has 200,000mi. on it. Other than that it hold up good off-road.

23rd Nov 2005, 00:30

Toyotas are very well know for their quality and lasting a long time. Of course after a number of years anything will fail, but you either got a rare lemon, use it very hard, abuse the vehicle or something along those lines.