1991 Toyota Pickup Short Bed from North America

Summary:

One of the most reliable vehicles ever made

The muffler had to be replaced after 16 years.

The tires had dry rot (!), and replaced those at year 17.

Other than that, I've had no problems with it.

General Comments:

Yes, it is 21 years old and just 32,000 miles on it.

It was the 2nd car for a few years, then became the landscape hauler (mulch, bushes, etc) when we re-did our yard.

Now, it's the 3rd vehicle in case one of the other two are out of commission, and takes runs to the dump every week in the summer for yard waste. No rust, starts every time, even in cold New England winters. Just wish the seats were more comfortable.

Review Date: 20th February, 2013

1991 Toyota Pickup SR5 V6 2WD 3VZE from North America

Summary:

One of the best vehicles on the market

88 miles -- presumed to be test drive miles at the time of purchase: Very rough idle, unbalanced tires. Six multiple-day visits to the dealer to fix the idle problem. Suspect that the service people operated the truck at idle for extended periods while at the dealer for repair. Claimed low fuel rail pressure was the cause of the rough idle. After five visits, the dealer attempted to dismiss the complaint as "not a new vehicle problem", then repaired it after my threat to escalate the problem to Toyota Regional Support.

1,000 miles: Cruise control cable rubbed underhood insulation and chaffed rubber off the cable. The dealer secured the cable and wrapped with cable with electrical tape!

10,000 miles: turn signal module shorts intermittently. Dealer couldn't resolve. Problem still exists.

103,000: Blown head gasket. Fixed free through "silent recall".

150,000: Clutch replaced.

General Comments:

This has been the most reliable and fun vehicle I have ever owned, and I intend to keep it.

I was at first skeptical of the engine, because it was hailed as the worst ever for Toyota, but it still does what I asks it to do.

Up to and after 250,000 miles, I traveled everywhere at 80 plus mph with no complaint from the engine. It still doesn't use oil, and responds well when I push it, which is a frequent event.

Since it reached 50,000 miles, it has had over 300 pounds of extra equipment on/in it including the stock bed liner, a cab high camper shell, and wood from a piano, which was used to construct a sound isolated stereo system in the bed. Added Monroe "MaxAir" shocks (part number MA792, last mated to the 1983 Toyota truck) to raise and level the truck.

After 180,000 miles, gave up on dealer support due to screw ups and their allowing junior techs to service the truck.

Using the original manuals purchased with the new truck, I have maintained this truck somewhat adequately to this point.

Review Date: 8th June, 2012

1991 Toyota Pickup 3.0L from North America

Summary:

I couldn't imagine buying anything but a Toyota

I bought the truck with a blown head gasket and that was the only thing that was not caused directly by the previous owner that I know of.

I have had a slight problem with the power steering pump, but other that the car is in good shape.

General Comments:

My truck handles like a car on the highway. I have a lift kit on my truck with 33 inch tires, so the handling and noise were a big concern for me, and to be honest the truck does better than my friends trucks without lifts in both departments.

This is my first car that I have bought or owned, and I dropped in a motor without a history with having head gasket problems, and it runs awesome. The motor I put in has close to 150,000 miles on it, and I can take it on the highways on my way to Nebraska going 85 with a lift kit and 33 inch tires, pretty impressive.

To be honest I was able to buy plenty of Jeeps in the same condition for cheaper, and I am so happy that I went with the Toyota. On the trails I can go wherever I want, getting this truck stuck is a chore.

Toyota just makes good trucks, the 4 cylinder was my first choice, but I am impressed with the V6.

I took it to Toyota to have the steering relay rod replaced as a recall, and I was expecting to get a long list of other parts that needed to be replaced, but they had nothing other than problems I already knew of and were planning to fix. That just shows hoe well built these trucks are, that even after 190,000 miles the truck is still holding together.

Review Date: 23rd April, 2009

24th Apr 2009, 00:47

Interesting. You gave a glowing review but unsure as to whether or not you'd purchase another vehicle from the manufacturer.

4th Jul 2010, 19:01

6th Jul 2010, 10:02

"Sometimes I wonder, Toyota has a lot of money, why not pay people to write good reviews?"

Why would Toyota pay somebody to write a good review on a '91 Pick-up? Back in '91, I can see where that would look pretty good for them, but how the heck would it help them today?