2002 Toyota RAV4 Reviews - Page 3 of 5

Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Beware

ECM (computer) and transmission went bad just after warranty had expired, due to a problem Toyota was aware of 2 years ago and did nothing about. They would not help with any repair cost. ECM caused transmission clutch, other internal parts to burn up and shift erratically.

Technical Service Bulletin: TC002-06, Revised March 3, 2006. Do an Internet search for the words TC002-06 RAV4.

General Comments:

Nice ride for an SUV. Decent gas mileage, but just horrible support for a problem Toyota was aware of.

Review Date: 16th April, 2008

Year of manufacture2002

The transmission is broke and will put me in hole of $3500.

I am very disappointed with this car. I had followed the service schedule to the T.

The driver side door lock messed up in 2007.

I will not buy a Toyota again.

Review Date: 21st February, 2008

2nd Jul 2009, 06:34

Do the manual transmissions have similar problems??

5th Apr 2013, 15:11

I am also wondering about that. But I assume that the problem affects only automatics, because manual trannies are not electronically controlled. Hopefully that is the case, because I'm currently looking for a manual Rav4.

2002 Toyota RAV4 4 cylinder. 2.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder. 2.0L Automatic
Previous carToyota RAV4

Summary:

Excellent appliance, but with a weak body and no soul

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

It's not a sport car at all and lacks torque, but it's a very good "appliance" The only problem with this car is that is not a "tank", which means, if you have an accident at 15mph be ready to spend 5,000 in the body shop (good thing would to get a full coverage insurance) I don't want to imagine how it would be a an accident at 40mph with this car. Rather than that, this car is very well built (but it lacks soul)

Review Date: 13th January, 2008

2002 Toyota RAV4 L 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carPontiac Sunfire

Summary:

Amazing little vehicle!

Nothing at all has gone wrong with this amazing little vehicle.

General Comments:

Wonderful car. I feel very safe, and taken care of in my Rav4. Mine has all the options including premium sound system, and leather. Beautiful inside, and out. Looks wonderful on the road, and handles very well. I get many compliments on my Rav4. Not one complaint. WONDERFUL!

Review Date: 14th September, 2004

Previous carHonda del Sol

Summary:

Highly recommended vehicle

Wheel alignment adjusted with new tire purchase.

General Comments:

Great vehicle! High quality. Excellent road manners. A little under powered when loaded down on the uphills. Have traveled all over Europe and Turkey with family while stationed there. Dead serious reliability. RAV4s are sold around the world. So servicing it, if I ever needed to, would not be a problem.

Review Date: 14th August, 2004

2002 Toyota RAV4 Rav 4 2 litre gas from North America

Engine and transmission 2 litre gas Manual
Previous carToyota Paseo

Summary:

Poorly built, but drives fine

Came from the dealer with a bad transmission (jumped out of 3rd gear every 20 minutes)

A Bad CD player.

A dent from the inside out on the rear drivers side door.

Engine hesitation (intermittent)

General Comments:

Handles nicely, esp. during one panic manouver.

Poor fuel economy compared to the same size engine in a 1986 Toyota van fully loaded with tools and equipment.

The original dealer that I've bought 6 Toyotas from treated me like dirt, claiming that all of my issues with the behicle were due to my driving ability. They flat out refused to road test the vehicle to check the transmission problem. When I threatened to cancel the purchase, they finally gave me a loaner car (after I had to argue that I would not pay for a rental), and they finally admitted that the transmission had to be rebuilt.

They then did not address the dent in the body, nor did they deal with the CD player or engine hesitation. That took 2 more trips to another dealer who dealt with the issues proptly.

At 40K miles, the water pump developed a leak, and now at 60K miles the check engine light is on.

After a total of 9 Toyotas that I have owned, 6 new and 3 used, this is by far the worst track record that I've had on any Toyota. I drive my cars hard and put about 35-40K miles on them per year, but maintain them well. I get about 225K miles out of all of my Toys, but I'm not sure that this one will last past 125K.

I'm not sure if I'd buy a Toyota again, Hondas are starting to look pretty good.

Review Date: 1st July, 2004

8th Jul 2004, 13:00

When my check engine light came on in my RAV4, I took it to the dealership and was informed that there was a malfunction in the computer systems of all RAVs and it was free for them to reset the computer. That may be why your check engine light came on. Although it does sound like you've had TONS of trouble with your dealership, too. I personally LOVE my RAV4. I've never had a problem with it.