14th Nov 2017, 04:50

If there were 2 items I would completely eliminate in all cars, they would be both cup holders and ashtrays. You can stop somewhere for that. Sleeker clean interior. No sloshing drinks or eating. I like an overhead or visor sunglass holders. And a plug in mirror power outlet for the radar detector. I have 3 lighter outlets in my crossover; nice for phone charging.

14th Nov 2017, 22:49

"You can stop somewhere for that". Yeah, it sure would be more convenient for somebody trying to make good time on a long trip to stop somewhere and guzzle a piping hot cup of coffee and chain smoke a few cigarettes instead of at your leisure inside the car.

15th Nov 2017, 11:52

I drive to Florida to visit family fairly often, well over 900 miles one way. That’s a long trip. Simply eat well before leaving. Pull over at rest stops after a few hours, fast food, get gas, stretch my legs even for just 10 minutes. If you want to smoke in your car, eat sandwiches or barbecue while hitting bumps and drop food between the seats etc, that’s your pleasure. I can see a bottle of water. If I am in that big of hurry to go anywhere, I take a flight from the nearby airport. Usually better anyway and you have a longer visit.

1st Feb 2018, 05:50

I wrote the original thread. The RAV4 has 51,145 miles on it, which means I've driven it 5026 miles since I bought it on 10/28/17.

On 1/3/18, the radio died. This was the week that it didn't get above single digits in Pittsburgh. The radio had frozen a few times randomly before. Just out of nowhere, the sound goes dead. I waited to take it to the dealer and they told me that the entire unit needed to be replaced. Thank goodness for the warranty because I didn't need to shell out a cent for parts or for the repair, which I understand would have set me back over $1,000. I had the new radio installed on Monday afternoon (it's Thursday morning as I write this) and it's still finicky in single-digit weather, but seems fine once it warms up. I'm curious to see how the radio will continue to hold up over the RAV4's life.

Otherwise, the only thing I've had to replace was the driver-side tail light bulb because it burned out.

The more I drive the RAV4, the more I like it. It's utilitarian, it's predictable, and the design just makes sense.

1st Feb 2018, 20:40

We rented a Rav4 a few years ago, and while it's probably not something I'll buy, it is surprisingly decent in terms of acceleration and fuel economy.