2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 3.5L V6 from North America

Summary:

Quiet, reliable, soft-riding - going to miss it, but still have a 2008 Sienna in the garage :-)

Very little during the eight years we owned it. The biggest problem at 143,000 miles was that the cable on the automatic passenger sliding door broke due to rust, and the repair would have been expensive. Decided just to trade it in at that point. Otherwise it was still a solid, reliable vehicle.

General Comments:

Just said goodbye to this beloved vehicle, so I am writing this review in the past-tense.

Purchased this car in Denver, CO at 55,000 miles. It was in excellent condition, and was quiet, dependable, and a great riding vehicle. The XLE version had many amenities, including triple-zone climate control.

The best thing about it was the roominess. Plenty of head room, even with a sunroof. In fact, there was ample head room in all three rows. The seats were incredibly comfortable. The road, wind, and engine noise were well muted, making it a very quiet vehicle. Reliability was excellent, unlike my 1994 Dodge Intrepid.

Another good thing about the Sienna was the low-beam headlights. Great visibility, even on a rainy night in the middle of nowhere, traveling at 80 mph. Almost never had to use the high beams.

The worst thing about the Sienna, is that it was a tire-eater. These vans use passenger car tires, yet they weigh 4,000 to 5,000 pounds! As a result, the Siennas have a reputation for wearing through tires quickly, even with proper inflation and rotation. Some buyers got the XLE Limited edition, which had run-flat tires. The run-flats were just terrible, and many people replaced those with standard tires.

A minor complaint would be the quality of some of the interior materials. Too many hard plastics. In Toyota's defense, there was a whole lot of interior to cover, and the hard plastics were placed about as well as they could be.

The rear wiper blade was hard to service.

According to many recent reviews, the latest (3rd generation) Siennas are not as refined in some ways as this 2004 (2nd generation) Sienna. I hope Toyota can remedy that problem, as I would be open to getting another similar Sienna in retirement, as minivans are very safe and versatile.

Review Date: 8th January, 2015

2004 Toyota Sienna from North America

Summary:

Best car we ever had

Nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

Best car we have ever had.

Run flat tires offer a great deal of security on the road. The original tires went for 48,000 miles. The second set seem to be doing about the same.

Most of our driving is highway. The car is serviced at regular intervals per service manual. Never had any problem with the tires.

Review Date: 18th October, 2010

2004 Toyota Sienna LE from North America

Summary:

Good, reliable family mover

Had to replace the electric motor for side door recently (May 2010) at 145,000 km... for $1700! We think this is basically a design flaw on Toyota's part, so not impressed with that. Otherwise, the van has been excellent.

General Comments:

First new vehicle we have ever bought. Immediately after purchasing we loaded up kids, dog, bikes, and drove from BC to Saskatchewan. No problems. Have driven to Edmonton, all over BC, and too many skiing destinations. Have never had a problem apart from the electric door issue; we have been pleased with the overall performance.

Also, we are a tall family, at this point all 6 feet or taller,and this is one vehicle in which we can all sit with comfort for both head room and leg room.

Finally, we have had this van consistently serviced at a local car clinic, not the dealer as we find the dealership overpriced and inconvenient. Our mechanic can do everything that the dealer can, but for less money.

Review Date: 6th June, 2010

2004 Toyota Sienna LE 3.3 from North America

Summary:

The very worst by far, I feel like I was robbed

3 sets of tires (incredible road noise since it was new).

Passenger door problems.

Wind noise from right passenger door.

Seat belt sticks.

Recall for seat belts and liftgate.

Intermediate steering shaft.

Main fuse link.

General Comments:

I am (was) a big Toyota fan, I also own a Tundra. But this car is a piece of junk! Nothing but problems from the start, and parts and maintenance are ridiculous.

Luckily I am semi-literate at mechanical issues. I have 4 kids who all drive + my wife and I. And in my entire driving career of all cars old or new that we have ever owned, this is by far the worst.

Review Date: 30th April, 2010