2004 Toyota Sienna LE from North America

Summary:

The first and last Toyota that I'll ever own!

Allows too much road noise in.

The transmission doesn't shift smoothly.

The radiator seam split.

The driver's door had to be fixed (recall).

Tire wear is terrible, even though they have been rotated and kept properly inflated.

A/C replaced at a cost of $2,400 (the A/C is seldom used).

Review Date: 17th October, 2009

2004 Toyota Sienna LXE AWD gas from North America

Summary:

The best car I have ever driven (from Chicago to Orlando)

Run flat tires went flat too often (3 times) and wore down in the second year.

Hatchback repair (opened on its own).

General Comments:

Great car! I had some problems getting straight with the recall on the run flat tires (rough Flintstone like feel to ride on these tires). Toyota was suppose to send me a check for $600.00 dollars. They sent $550.00.

I paid $850.00 for 4 Continental all season tires. Now my car is near perfect, and I travel through 7 states during a rain storm through Look out Mountain and Smokey Mountain!

Mike

Review Date: 29th January, 2009

2004 Toyota Sienna XLE 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Reliable, but disappointing

I have no spare tire, and I don't have any place to mount one. I tried to figure out where I could put it, and there is no room other than precious cargo space.

General Comments:

I am amazed that I purchased a vehicle used with 23000 miles that has no spare tire. I was neither made aware that I did not have a spare, but I do have a jack, which seems kind of crazy considering that if I get a flat, I have nothing to replace it with.

The real kicker is my Sienna did not have run flat tires on it when purchased because it was used. I never really knew the vehicle came with run flats, and I refused to spend in excess of $1000.

Review Date: 27th January, 2009

4th Feb 2009, 08:24

When I purchased my 2004 Toyota Sienna, I had no idea that the car came with run-flat tires either, and was disappointed at the dealer for not informing me of this.

In addition, the run-flat tires drove horribly on the snow despite having AWD. So, I was left with 2 choices, spend tons of money on run flat snow tires or just put regular tires on the van and suffer without having a spare tire.

I ended up putting normal snow tires on my van and decided to suffer with no spare tire. Rather than purchasing a spare tire kit and taking up valuable cargo space, I decided instead to get a AAA membership.

The van drives fantastic in the snow now, and with the AAA membership I feel that I will be covered if for whatever reason I end up with a flat tire. It's a small price to pay for such a fantastic van.

I love everything about my van except for two things.

One - the lack of a spare tire.

Two - the fact that the battery dies quickly. If an interior light is left on for even 1/2 an hour the battery will die. So my solution to that was a portable jump-starter from Walmart that cost $39. So AAA will save me if I get a flat, I can jump start my car whenever the battery dies, and other than that, I'd say that I love everything about my van.

I did learn some lessons though. There are a lot of things a dealer won't tell you just to sell a car. I probably should have researched it a bit more, because there is a lot of info on-line where people complain about the run-flat tires and the battery dying quickly.

2004 Toyota Sienna LE from North America

Summary:

Don't get a Sienna, unless you have money to burn

After taking ownership of our van, we noticed a loud squealing sound from one of the belts. I took it to the Toyota dealership and was charged $160, just to look under the hood. The mechanic said that it was the air conditioner belt and that it needed to be changed. I had the belt changed and still had the same noise problem persist.

I took it back and was told that they sprayed it with a lubricant to take noise away. Of course the noise came back, and I then again went back and was not helped at all in quieting the noise. I gave up on having a quiet car.

Then I had the ultimate problem happen... my engine had sludged. My car had only 37000 miles on it and was still under the 50,000 warranty. I contacted the warranty department and was told that my warranty was not going to be honored, due to me not having the oil changed at their "Toyota" facility. I had receipts for timely oil changes at Jiffy Lube, but they would not honor it because I did not take it to them. I was truly disappointed with Toyota and the warranty company. I had no choice but to have them clean the sludge and to charge me $3,000 for it.

Now my air conditioner is not working and was told that it is the compressor. What's next?

General Comments:

I am currently looking for a Honda.

Review Date: 8th December, 2008

8th Jul 2011, 22:33

Our A/C compressor also went out on our 2004 Toyota Sienna at 50k miles. $1500 to repair. Dealer recommended replacing the entire A/C system for $6000, which I declined. Irony; I paid more for the "Toyota" name for false reliability.

10th Jul 2011, 12:13

Sadly many people are still deceived by what probably was never a true view of imports. Billions in ad hype has created an urban myth in the U.S. that anything made by foreign industry is better. My experience with older imports was all bad, and I refuse to waste my money on newer, even more poorly built ones.

I was very happy this week to see that in comparisons, a leading automotive magazine known for being blatantly biased against domestic vehicles, rated the Ford Focus above the Honda Civic, and recommended it above all import competition. In another comparison, the Chevy Volt was recommended over the Lexus Corolla-based hybrid, in spite of the fact that the Lexus was 10 grand cheaper.

Americans are waking up to the fact that newer domestics are more sophisticated, more reliable, safer and have better build quality than Japanese brands. I've known this all along. None of my domestics has ever required a single repair before 100,000 miles.