18th May 2017, 11:56

Obviously you had more than 2 people to carry, so why not take the smaller Chevrolet Volt that seats 4-5? Owning any truck (large or small) in a large metropolitan area may have drawbacks. But then you also see city buses that somehow manage. I drive mine being so familiar with its size quite easily with so much practice. And what broader streets to take. Otherwise a car works far better. I live only a few miles outside the city. I can also just take the train in the city fast and save very high parking. Leave the trucks at home.

23rd May 2017, 14:17

Original Poster here again.

It finally happened... the Tacoma finally left me stranded!

After 161000 miles, the belt driving the alternator and fan said no more!

I heard the belt rip itself apart and the battery light came on. I turned around as I had just passed a gas station and parked her at a pump. I had seen the belt starting to fray a bit on my last oil change, but decided to change it the next oil change. Didn't make it.

I called my boss/friend as I was an hour from home (I commute 63 miles a day one way to work) and he picked me up and drove me to Autozone. I picked up three belts (one of three original belts died, the rest were surely right behind it) as well as a tool kit. An hour later I was back in the original, never touched air conditioning on my way home to start my weekend.

For 180 bucks I was back on the road, with a 100$ tool kit to show for it.

The remaining two belts were just as bad, but at 15 years old and 160,000 miles these belts were done.

The truck still runs like a top. No burning of oil. Nothing.

Great daily driver and the bench seat is really comfortable.

Still on stock speakers and head unit.

23rd May 2017, 18:29

Hate to use the expression false economy, but there's something to learn here. I go by time, not mileage in many cases. Hoses, belts, batteries, tires etc are easy to address. I pull a battery out every 4 years. I may get 5 or even 6. But why? At most you save 20-30 bucks. It could be an unsafe night situation, horrible weather or other real pain. I have 200 mile towing and that is still a pain. I use Dexcool as a prime example in my cars. It's a very corrosive caustic coolant. At 3 years I pull the bottom hose and flush. Not 5 years. If you are doing it anyway, change the hoses. I fret over the all in one serpentine belt. Lose that and I am done. Same with all the filters. I had a weeping gas filter up by the left rear wheel. Now I change them early too. The proactive approach pays dividends. You may still have another issue or a flat at night or on the road. But less chance. Every car I have has a portable lighter air compressor. Even with run flats I carry one. Battery cables. Duct tape etc. Keep in a duffel bag. In my major city area, if you leave your car, it will likely be gone or stripped. Which means waiting for a tow or inconveniencing someone. Hopefully you won't get mugged one night. Not worth stretching maintenance. It can come back and will bite you.

6th Dec 2017, 23:28

Original Poster here

Just rolled over 180k.

No issues.

7th Dec 2017, 19:01

Heck. I have a '96 Tacoma that had almost 260,000 miles. No issues, runs perfectly, even still looks decent, albeit some paint is starting to fade. Yes, these trucks will run forever...

7th Dec 2017, 23:05

Do you have an opinion that a 2017 would be as good as a 1996? Quality, maintenance durability? Or is older a far better choice in your opinion?

8th Dec 2017, 17:20

I hate to say it, but I'm not exactly a fan of the new Tacomas. They've gotten huge, they no longer offer a smaller version and they're expensive. I test drove one about 2 weeks ago and the handling was really floaty. Almost like a Buick. I also feel that for as expensive as these are, the interiors and the overall fit and finish is not as good as it should be. I have no doubt they will run forever and ever just like the old ones. But I would much prefer if they were to bring back versions that are smaller and more basic/cheaper like the old one I have.