1993 Toyota Tercel Base 1.5 from North America

Summary:

Cheap and reliable transportation

Bought with bad cylinder.

General Comments:

This car was the first car that I did not share with someone else. It was a dirt cheap emergency buy. I used it as a daily commuter for a 70-mile round trip for seven months and put 11000 miles on it. It got me there. It got me back. That's really all you ought to ask of such a basic car.

While the car was otherwise mechanically sound, there was some serious oil leakage from the bad cylinder. It drank about a quart every 200 miles. It had its days. On the bad days, which became more frequent over time, it would die if you let it idle. I could have done without the hassle but must say that keeping it from dying by keeping it revved up did wonders for my abilities as a stick driver.

Clearly engine durability is not the Tercel's strong point. No junkyard wanted it because the only thing that they could sell was the engine--Tercel engines were apparently in demand because of issues like mine.

Still, this car, as long as it has a working motor, is an excellent little car to drive. It offers little in terms of comfort but is perfect as a single-user commuter. It handles surprisingly well for its size, particular in tight spaces and on corners.

Gas mileage was brilliant. Even though the car cost me a small fortune in oil, its gas requirements were very modest and I routinely got around 40 mpg out of it. Other maintenance costs were minimal.

Its construction was fine. Although the interior is mostly cheap hard plastic, it was still in good shape after ten years. The body and frame, likewise, held up well.

I'd give a Tercel of that generation a second look if it has under 100K miles on it. Its size and road behaviour are ideal for beginning drivers and single commuters.

Review Date: 1st April, 2008

1993 Toyota Tercel base model coupe 1.5 liter from North America

Summary:

Almost indestructible

Nothing went wrong.

General Comments:

I now dream about the gas mileage this car used to get. It was a four speed stick, and when I owned it in '94, I used to fill it up for about 7$ to maybe 9$, and that would last a few weeks if I remember correctly. I bought this car to drive to college mainly, and I beat it with no mercy the whole time. If it had had a tachometer, I would have been afraid to look at it half the time. It was fun to drive, like a go cart. I bounced it through fields, wound the gears out most of the time, and slid it around bends like I was running from the police. Back then I changed oil once in a while, and that was the only thing that I ever did to this car other than put gas in it, and one set of front tires. The car never so much as sputtered or missed a beat. I sold it later for a four-wheel drive, and I wish I still had it.

Review Date: 18th March, 2006

18th Mar 2006, 15:16

How did you survive on the highway with a 4 speed stick?

18th Mar 2006, 21:39

Well, that is where winding the gears out to get up to speed came into play! I can't remember the horsepower rating for that little 4-banger, but I used 'em all trying to get onto the highway from an uphill ramp and not get killed.

1993 Toyota Tercel 2-door 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

I see why this car is no longer manufactured

Granted, I received the car from my brother to get back and forth to school. Perhaps if I had got it new I wouldn't have had so many problems.

As soon as I got the car, about 100,000 miles, fuel pump went out. Left me stranded constantly. About $200 to get replaced.

Could not get the car through inspection in requirement for my tags, despite regular maintenance.

Needed ignition switch replaced about 110,000 miles. About $70.

Needed a new clutch about 115,000. About $300.

Needed starter immediately after that. Also had to get head gaskets replaced.

Another $350.

When I turn, it makes a clucking noise. Assume its the steering column.

General Comments:

This car would be okay, if it wasn't for the constant failure of different parts which is extremely frustrating. I am now in my first year of college and have given up on this car. Engine leaks oil - have to put in engine oil every time I get gas. But I can fill up on $22. I hate this car now, Toyota has burned me and I would never purchase a car with over 100,000 miles.

Review Date: 29th September, 2005

30th Sep 2005, 06:21

What on earth do you expect from an 11 year old car with 100,000 miles on it? Hardly Toyota's fault.

29th Nov 2005, 14:48

I would expect more from a Toyota. I honestly feel these cars are overrated - 100,000 on a Toyota shouldn't cost me over $2000. I guess I see your point, it's just upsetting every time you get into a car you have to worry about a part failing. Can Toyota's really be all that great?