2008 Toyota Tundra Crew Max SR5 5.7 from North America

Summary:

Expecting 20+ years with this one and no reason to think it won't last that long

Replaced brakes at 110 000km and accessory belt broke at 60 000 km.

4 remote key fobs all died within 2 years.

General Comments:

This truck is a tank. I drive it like a truck - including hauling, off-roading and towing. Have towed a 7500 lb trailer almost 30 000km with it with no problems at all. The engine is fast and full of torque at any speed. My only complaint is the fuel mileage - averaging about 15 MPG city and 21 MPG highway. The trade is that I have virtually no repair costs compared to my wife's Ford or brother's Chevy.

Interior is well laid out, and has no problem fitting four 6-footers for long road trips. Interior is also quieter than any sedan I've ever owned - even if I dump 1500 lb of wood in it or am pulling my trailer on the highway.

Wish the box had the longer option, but wouldn't trade the interior space in the Crew Max for that extra foot in the bed.

Review Date: 11th July, 2016

14th Jul 2016, 17:06

My Dad owns an '02 Tundra, the first generation back when Toyota was still kind of figuring out the full sized truck market. It goes through rear brake pads a lot faster, but other than that he's put well over 325,000 miles on it so far. Even the engine still runs tight and he is not what I'd call the best at remembering to change the oil when you're supposed to either.

Right now I own a 20 year old Tacoma, but I am seriously thinking of buying a used Tundra when this old truck bites the dust, if it ever does so.

14th Jul 2016, 18:31

If you do, you will likely never own a small truck ever again. Just with estate sales and Craig's List alone it proves invaluable. I had 2 small trucks; never again.

15th Jul 2016, 16:01

Good decision, I mean after all full size is the way to go, especially when paying insurance on a truck. I got tired of borrowing bigger trucks to get the job done.

16th Jul 2016, 12:43

Why not buy a new one? It's a great feeling having it from the very beginning. Life is short. I love my full size. You can bring anything home and tow a variety of other things.

19th Jul 2016, 16:27

Probably because new trucks are expensive. I'm sort of a cheap skate and every time I look up the price of a new Tundra, F-150, Silverado etc it's shocking at how much they are. It's not at all hard to suddenly be looking at a $35,000 truck once you add any kind of features. If I do buy one I'm going to buy used. A friend of mine bought a used Tundra that had been in use by some kind of fleet delivery service. It was bone stock, but he got it at a good price.

19th Jul 2016, 17:38

I own a couple. A 2004 Silverado fun toy with only 35000 miles. It's showroom new. My bigger one works hard and is a true driver. Nothing like new. You know it from day one and it wasn't trashed the day it's traded in from owner 1.

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 litre V8 from North America

Summary:

So far it's junk

After only 2 weeks of ownership the rear differential has to be rebuilt at a cost of $2000. Thankfully this happened before the 30 day warranty was up and it won't be my expense.

General Comments:

My cousin who is a mechanic and lives out of state told me to stick with Ford or go with GM. I guess I should have listened to him.

Hopefully this is the only problem that I will have with this truck, and hopefully it can tolerate the workloads that I put my old Ford Econoline through.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2016