2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 litre V8 from North America

Summary:

So far it's junk

After only 2 weeks of ownership the rear differential has to be rebuilt at a cost of $2000. Thankfully this happened before the 30 day warranty was up and it won't be my expense.

General Comments:

My cousin who is a mechanic and lives out of state told me to stick with Ford or go with GM. I guess I should have listened to him.

Hopefully this is the only problem that I will have with this truck, and hopefully it can tolerate the workloads that I put my old Ford Econoline through.

Review Date: 3rd February, 2016

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 5.7 from North America

Summary:

Would make a great garbage truck; once you get to the dump, you wouldn't even need to unload it

Radio 3 times within the first year. No functions worked and Japanese writing was displayed.

Front differential was replaced at 50,000 km.

Both front drive shafts replaced at 50,000 km.

Gas pedal about 70 or 80,000km. Recall was performed, and now the gas pedal is unbelievably sensitive.

Transmission started to slip around 60,000 km. This, combined with the sensitive gas pedal, is an amazing combination.

Wheel bearing about at 50 or 60,000 km.

Chrome started rusting at about 100,000 km (3 years).

General Comments:

Cheap construction. The fit and finish are not what I am used to in a Toyota. It is similar to an American vehicle.

It does however have a ton of power, is very comfortable, drives well, and looks good.

I have the 4x4, it has low ground clearance compared to comparable trucks (Ford, GM).

Weak tail gate. Bent it the second or third day I owned the truck while unloading a snowmobile. Something I did on my 2002 Tacoma hundreds of time, no problem.

After owning the vehicle for some time now, I have realize that I have bought an American vehicle with Toyota stamped on it. It is designed by North Americans for North Americans, and built by North Americans, just like a Ford. The parts are made in Mexico and the truck is only assembled in the US.

The dealer service was also terrible. I live 2.5 hours from the dealer. When I had the radio issue, I had to take the car to the dealer, leave it for the day so they could "experience the problem". Then they would send me home while they ordered a new radio. And then another 2.5 hours drive each way and leave my truck for the day to have the radio changed. This happened 2 more times. Each time they had to "experience the problem", and refused to order a new radio before I arrived. They also scratched and chipped the bezel around the radio.

As for the slipping transmission, the dealer test drove the vehicle and said there was no problem. I asked to speak to the tech. The tech was actually a guy that use to live in my area. He was a backyard mechanic who never went to school and was a self proclaimed VW expert. My only prior experience was when my girlfriend took her car to him to get the exhaust fixed. He said some wires were in the wrong spot so he switched them. The car never ran again. We asked him what wires he switched and he refused to tell us. He said that is how it should be, and that is not the problem.

I could go on for days about this vehicle and the service, but you get the gist of it.

Not happy.

Review Date: 8th September, 2013

9th Sep 2013, 06:37

Should have bought a Tacoma, or an American truck. Heard a lot of bad reviews about the Tundra; seems like it still needs some quality control issues worked out.

9th Sep 2013, 08:11

Why not buy a strong 3/4 ton F Series or Silverado, not offered by Toyota? A large, strong 4x4. Look at the power and frame construction, and get back to us. We have a # in our company that perform great every day.