2008 Toyota Tundra 4.0 V6 from North America

The Tundra V6 is excellent. I recommend it

In the first few months, the engine light flashed. I did not know what was wrong, and took the truck back to the dealer. However, it was just because I had the gas cap not tight. When I got to the dealer, the front service and fine looking person told me to check the gas cap. My fault, it was an embarrassment. However, I do not like this option.

I picked the option to have the side step rail installed by the local dealer. In the first couple of weeks, I felt the creaking. Curiously, I got down under the truck to inspect the sidebar's bolting areas to look for the cause. I discovered and assumed that the dealer mechanic missed a thread in a bolt. It is a minor, so I did not bother to take the truck back to the dealer. Thus, I ended up fixing it myself. By the way, this is not a manufacturer mistake.

General Comments:

At the time I bought the truck, I test drove both truck engine sizes - V6 and V8. The V8 is very powerful. The V6 is just adequate. In addition, I do not have a need to own the powerful V8 engine truck. Therefore, I settled for the V6 at 4.0 liters.

Tundra V6 engine truck has some advantages due to its mature and thus stability, use of timing chain, initial cost less than the V8, and ultimately uses less gas. The disadvantage of the V6 engine is that it is not as powerful as the V8.

In driving, I took the truck for a few long trips around the mid-south area. One of the longest trips was around 1500 miles. The truck is good looking and driving is very smooth. The V6 engine has proven to have enough power to accelerate and pass others on the highway if needed. The little con that I think of is the fuel economy, which leaves a little to desire; on average my truck got about 17 mpg.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase. Possibly, I will keep this Tundra for about 10 years before buying another vehicle.

Review Date: 27th March, 2009

8th Jul 2009, 18:46

I have owned a 5.7 Tundra Sr5 crewmax model with no performance mods, and I am pulling around 16.4 around town. The truck has about 10,800 miles on it, and about 500 miles since I last reset the fuel mileage.