2002 Vauxhall Corsa SXi 1.2 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very good value for money

I haven't really had any faults with the car in the 3 months I've owned it.

The only thing that I don't really like is the fuel economy, as it's worse than the Fiat Punto I had last time.

Apart from that, I think the Corsa is a fab little car. I've found a garage that does the work on mine really well, and the parts are very reasonable.

I also find that the engine is very raucous at say 70mph; I guess that's because the gearing isn't geared that high; especially in 5th, as I can drive in 5th at 30mph.

I would really recommend the Corsa as a first car, or if you just need a little car.

Review Date: 26th June, 2007

2002 Vauxhall Corsa sxi 1.2 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Sporty car lacks reliability

Suspension creaking over every bump.

Gaiter split and leaking grease.

Exhaust blowing.

Swing arm snapped.

Steering knocking when turning.

When stopping and changing gear into neutral the revs drop to zero and the engine cuts out.

Flat spots when accelerating.

General Comments:

All in all this is a very nice car, it looks very sporty in black. quite economical aswell.

The interior is lovely and has everything you need.

Its just the reliability of the engine and other parts involving the running of the car.

Very very poor.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2006

2002 Vauxhall Corsa sxi 1.2 16v i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Lovely little car, too many niggling problems

Front Seat foam leaking from bottom of seats causing metal to be felt through seat fabric, took 2 trips to dealership to fix.

CD Player makes shuddering noise when ignition activated and shut down for 10 seconds appx.

Drivers seat fold down mechanism, (3 door) always sticks so you have to force it to work.

Gear linkage failed at 34,000 miles - all, but 3rd and 4th would work, car was just 2 months out of warranty so had to pay £140 to replace it, Vauxhall didn't want to know. Very annoyed as it has been documented as a common fault and they have actually replaced the original part with a modified one!

39,000 miles- 1 month after service, engine sounding very loud when idling, but still performs OK (sounds like dody engine bearings or tappets)

Paintwork has started to emerge with small rust speckles? Worrying as he car is only 4 years old.

General Comments:

A very pretty car for 6 grand!

Handles very well.

Acceleration great for such a small engine.

Review Date: 1st May, 2006

2002 Vauxhall Corsa Life 1.0 12V from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Car is engineered to last only 3 years

Power steering rack (twice)

Oil pressure switch (twice)

Gear change linkage.

Anti roll bar link arms and bushes.

Sump gasket oil leak.

Ignition switch barrel.

Broken key for wheel nuts.

Timing chain replaced.

General Comments:

Very bumpy ride.

Seats mark very easily.

Power steering dreadful.

Car is now just out of warranty now to cap it all exhaust is blowing.

Review Date: 8th November, 2005

9th Jan 2006, 04:38

As a owner of a Vauxhall Corsa Life, the steering is fine, stainless exhausts last for about 3 years. Seats DO NOT MARK EASY. Basically it is a very nice car to drive.

12th May 2006, 06:31

In my experience of my corsa, I've had an exhaust sensor malfunction, had to have the gear linkage re-aligned, and I just got told that my timing chain needs replacing which will cost me £300+ as well as the fact they are now telling me my warranty is invalid, thanks vauxhall.

27th Sep 2006, 13:26

I Have a Corsa 1.4 sxi 16v 3 door. It is a 52 plate and has only 31000 miles on the clock. The speedometer does not work, the power steering goes on and off. The car creeps forward when in first without revs. The engine has a constant knocking sound. Overall the worst car I have ever purchased in 17 years.

12th Mar 2007, 08:00

Update on my original rating. Car goes from bad to worse.

Oil pressure sensor is leaking again!

Timing chain is rattling again.

Problems with gear selection again

Steering has started pulling to the left.

I can't wait until September when I can replace it unless hopefully it catches fire before then, if it does I will not be in a hurry to call the fire brigade.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE, this must be Vauxhall's idea of a joke, never again.

16th Aug 2008, 12:03

Vauxhall Corsas are not good at all. I've got a 2002 one and I've had the oil pressure switch leak loads of times. I think its the 4th time now!

The engine is way too noisy, the gear box link has been replaced, something went wrong with the front suspension costing £400, and it's only done 36000 miles. Definitely avoid!!!