1989 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.6 turbo diesel from North America

I love you Jetta!

The brakes on the car failed, I needed to overhaul the entire brake system.

The exhaust system had to be replaced.

Had a little issue where my door was torn off my car (my fault) so that had to be replaced.

New emergency brake.

General Comments:

The car has power like you wouldn't believe for a 1.6 liter engine.

The car is tight and responsive.

The fuel gauge dosen't move on this car! I can get 700 to 800 kilometers to a tank!

Review Date: 24th February, 2005

1989 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2.0L gasoline 4-cylinder 5-speed from North America

German Subcompact at its Finest

Nothing too bad has gone wrong mechanically with my Volkswagen thus far.

However, the ceiling carpet is torn in several places.

The radio does not work and will be replaced very soon.

General Comments:

I am actually quite pleased with my handsome subcompact out of West Germany.

I admire the fuel economy--I've gone as high as 33 mpg on the highway--and that's just the gasoline engine!

The performance of the car is, well, sort of sporty. It is able to hit 120 mph plus. Acceleration is commendable, also.

I got this car with a sport-tuned exhaust on it. It makes the car sound more powerful.

The tiny 100-hp engine runs forever, it seems. It has a lot of get-up-and-go.

The inviting five-speed is quite easy to shift.

The cabin of the car seems bigger than it actually is--and I like that.

The paint job is still looking very good figuring that this is a 15-year old car.

For a fifteen year old car that cost me 1800 US dollars, I must say that I am quite pleased with this Volkswagen. This particular brand of fine German automobiles has ran in our family since we came over from Germany long time ago.

Review Date: 18th December, 2004

20th Dec 2004, 01:52

I have a 1988 Volkswagen Jetta and it is truly an awesome car. I can echo all of your sentiments here about the motor (great peppiness and torque; very easy to pass people) and the "celing carpet" (the headliner sags on a lot of these cars - mine included). I have a 2002 Honda Civic as well, and I like to drive the Jetta more than the Civic! It's just a fun car, and if maintained right, can last well over 200,000 miles on the original mechanicals. I am hooked on Volkswagens and Audis, and I hope to be for as long as I drive.

1989 Volkswagen Jetta Flair 1.8 from North America

Good handling and performance, but poor quality disappoints

Rear side window and rear window both leaked when car was brand new. Took the car back to dealer to fix.

Car came with wheel lock nuts which completely stripped the first time I tried to removed them. Had to ask dealer to replace them with regular wheel nuts.

Engine idle is not smooth. The car literally shakes when at idle.

Sunroof has a rattling noise which is made worse by the engine's rough idle.

One of two release cables on the driver's seat came loose and the seat would not release properly. The dealer 'fixed' this problem by tying a knot in the cable to shorten it. Eventually the cable broke and the driver's seat would not release on one side.

At the first scheduled service at 6 months, the dealer replaced a number of engine components according to manufacturer's bulletin. After that, the engine would emit a ticking noise under acceleration. Tried to get dealer to fix, but after 4 visits they were still unable to identify the problem. It was very annoying as the ticking noise could be heard whenever the car accelerated.

General Comments:

The car handles very well and has good performance.

Engine has good power.

I also like the feel of the steering.

However, there were too many problems for a brand new car.

I used to be a VW fan, but this experience changed my mind and I will not buy another VW again.

Review Date: 24th October, 2004