1993 Geo Tracker LX 4 cylinder
What a blast to drive!
Computer control module failed the first week I had the car.
I bought my Tracker used with relatively low miles - 73k- for $2,250.00. I had to buy a new top ($90.00 on eBay) and spend several hours with rubbing compound to bring back the shine to the paint.
The first week I had it the computer control module failed - I got a replacement (eBay again) for $90.00. Since then (3,000 miles) no problems. I added some 4x6 speakers so the cassette deck now rocks!
Here's my review after 3 months of ownership:
1. This thing is a blast to drive. Living in so. cal. I can pretty much keep the top open all year - love the fresh air and sunshine! While actually pretty slow, it feels fast (like the old British MG's and Austin Healys from the 1950s). I can rip through the 5 speed stick and roar along at 45mph. The steering is quick - turns instantly - strong brakes.
2. Ton's of room inside. I'm 6'2" and I've got plenty of space to stretch out. The seats are very comfortable.
Rear seat folds up - plenty of room for 6 grocery bags.
Tall windshield - panoramic visibility.
3. Park it any place - super short - it fits in spaces that are too small for anything, but a mini.
4. Just OK on gas for such a small car - gets 25 in town, 30 on the highway.
5. While it CAN keep up with freeway traffic, it's a bit buzzy and noisy. It really shines on the local country roads.
6. Parts are cheap if you search the web - local shops will rip you off. Pretty easy to wrench yourself. I've got the older 8 valve motor - things are much easier to get to than the later 16 valve model.
In short, I love my Tracker. I get a lift every time I drive it. Top off, cruising along with Hank Williams (Sr.) blasting on the cassette deck - life doesn't get much better!
I'll never sell this thing!
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 10th January, 2008
8th Apr 2010, 21:45
Follow up to my earlier post. I'm now at 85,000 miles. No further problems. I replaced the plugs with iridium units and installed new cap/rotor and plug wires. Huge difference. Revs faster/ much smoother.
Still love driving it!! Now I've got my iPod hooked up to the stereo. I will never sell it!
7th Nov 2012, 15:29
I'm now at 95K. The car runs better than ever. Looks like the tires will never wear out. Still love driving it.
21st Apr 2013, 03:49
Just have one question. Where did you find a new top for your Geo Tracker for $90 on eBay? The cheapest I have seen on eBay is around 179 with free shipping. My name is Jeff, and I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks. My e-mail is email@example.com
18th Nov 2014, 22:51
Just about to hit 100K - no mechanical problems. Still love my Tracker. Now I have Pandora radio playing from my iPhone through the stock cassette deck. I wired in a pair of tweeters - the stereo really rocks now!!! The car is still a blast to drive. Remember the words of Jay Leno - "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." That sums up the Tracker.
22nd Feb 2015, 21:47
My name is Norma. My son needs a car to drive back and forth to college, and I have found a 1993 Geo Tracker 2 wheel drive convertible. It looks as though people love the car. He just needs a reliable car. It has over 140,000 miles on it, but only had one owner. I need advice as to what to do. It is so important to get him a car in the next couple of days, and this is an easy buy. Thank you.