2006 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 6 of 7

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 2.0 petrol Semi-Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

BMW 3 Series - The Ultimate Driving Machine!

The only thing that has gone wrong was the window washer jammed, because when I put the fluid in it, there were some particles that found their way in there. I still don't know how, but yep.

General Comments:

Well, I'm no stranger to luxury vehicles, as I've previously owned 2 Mercedes Benz, and an X5. I was extremely impressed with the X5 and decided to get a 3 Series. I MUST say, this is by far the most well put together vehicle I have seen in my life. Those who argue with me probably own an American made German knockoff (German car assembled in America). The interior is lovely, practical, and really comfortable. My butt doesn't ache after long trips!

The backseat was really impressive, as I find there is a lot more room (and I stress, a lot) in there versus its competitors (Audi A4 and MB C-Class). But that's how I feel, and I should note, I'm a big guy.

The steering wheel is a bit claustrophobic, as I find the racing M Tech steering wheel more attractive with such a sporty car. The only thing I can really complain about is that I have black leather and burr walnut trim, and the leather gets scuffed REALLY easily, making maintenance a task at times, but no complaints. At least BMW uses real leather, unlike other companies using artificial leather. So it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take.

The gauges are simple, and tell me what I need to know, instead of being crammed with unnecessary stuff. If my car needs to tell me something, it will come up on the HUD. That's what I love about all BMW's, everything is simple, and never too much (excluding the iDrive system LOL, but I don't have it).

The only problem I have with the car is the options. The chrome window trim & rail is $505.00 USD! Crazy! That's really pricey for a strip of plastic ABS chrome. But there's nothing else to complain about. I have fallen in love with BMW, and this is the first of many more to come!

"A BMW 3 Series, I think it's a troika of engineering, balance, and heritage: engineering that allows each part of the car to be excellent, balance that means no one part of the car lets you down or distracts from the whole, and heritage that reminds this company that cars are, at their best, a passion, not an appliance." - Brian Cooley.

Review Date: 21st April, 2007

2006 BMW 3 Series 320D SE 2.0 turbo diesel (163bhp) from UK and Ireland

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 2.0 turbo diesel (163bhp) Manual
Previous carAudi A4

Summary:

As good as it gets!!

Nothing, it has been 100% fault free to date after 11 months and 27,000 miles. Had it valeted last week and it could pass off as new.

General Comments:

This is probably the best car I have owned so far. I have had a number of Audi A4s and a BMW 318 (E46) which were all good cars. The new 320d is so refined, quick, economical and comfortable, that I really think it would be hard to better. The handling, body control and stability is a revelation - irrespective of your speed or the type of road the car just seems unflappable. I drive regularly on fairly twisty Co Kildare roads and the more you push the car the better it gets! I did not specify the i-drive because I have read that it's complex and visually it messes up the simplicity of the dashboard. The only aspect of the car that I am not crazy about is the exterior styling, but I opted for 17" alloys and it looks much better. Servicing at BMW is pricey, but the customer service is top notch and apart from fuel and one set of tyres there has been no other expense to date. After 27,000 miles and 11 months, the car looks and feels like new and there isn't a rattle or squeak to be heard. I wish however that BMW would start putting decent sound systems into their cars - the standard system in my A4 was fantastic compared to the one I have now, but it's a minor quibble!

Review Date: 14th November, 2006

12th Jan 2007, 14:25

I have a 2005 320d and I agree that it's a great car to drive and I agree entirely with you in respect of the styling and the sound system. I had an E46 before and the styling was much better to my eye. In fact I think the only incarnation of this generation of 3 series that actually looks 'nice' is the coupe. I only bought because it was so great to drive. Also the standard sound system in the E46 was perfectly adequate to my ears, but the one in this car is pretty poor and distorts even at quite low volume. I also notice that the tweeters mounted in in the front corner of the front doors on the E46 have been deleted. I know that BMW want you to pay for the sound upgrade options, but the standard fitment should be adequate - this is not a cheap car.

As an aside I'd probably go for a 520d next - better looking, bigger, better equipped and when I last looked only about another 7% extra in cost. They announced it about a week after I'd ordered the 320d and BMW said that it was too late to change my mind. Can't believe that they couldn't have sold it to someone else but there go...