2006 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 2 of 7

First year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.5 straight six Manual
Most recent distance42000 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Brilliant all rounder

I had a warning light on the dashboard, which after some research, looked like a traction control issue. It was raining heavily at the time. The fault disappeared and hasn't been back since, leading me to think that it may have been a damp sensor.

General Comments:

Quick and smooth engine mated to a good gear change and sublime chassis. The car handles like a smaller hot hatch. There's loads of grip, but when the back end steps out on wet roundabouts, it's so easy to get back. It's fun without being scary for drivers who are not professional racers!

The ride isn't great (coming from a Honda Accord exec) but it's the mSport version with hard suspension and run flats. Saying that, it's not as bad as some people make out.

Seats are superb, with plenty of support and adjustment options.

I love some of the features like the door handles lighting up, button press folding mirrors, near side mirror automatically points to the curb when in reverse, and overall, the interior quality is just better than the alternatives from Japan and France.

Things I don't like: The radio isn't great for a prestige car, the sound is average at best. The computer is not the most intuitive. I can reset the average MPG from the stalk, but I'm yet to discover how to reset the trip computer!

Overall, I love this car. It's the RWD handling, smooth engine, and sporty feel. I couldn't go back to an executive type car unless I had the money for a toy as well as.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2011

25th Nov 2011, 13:04

Tiny, unlabelled button to the bottom left of the speedo to reset the trip meter. Had me confused for a bit as well :-)

When the fuel gauge is at zero, follow the line of the needle.

2006 BMW 3 Series XI 3.0L 6 cylinder from North America

Model year2006
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.0L 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carLexus ES

Summary:

Has not held up well at all

My steering column lock went out at 41000 miles.

My brake sensors both went out at 52000 miles.

My rear window regulator, for both sides, went out at 65000 and 66000 miles.

The paint on my roof started peeling at 60000 miles.

General Comments:

The car drives reasonably well.

However, both window regulators should not have gone out.

Also, the paint should not be peeling all over the roof panel.

Review Date: 28th October, 2011

31st Oct 2011, 11:33

Many BMWs haven't done too well in reliability over here over the years... mostly a hit or miss report card. Not sure how well they do in the Asian countries or European countries.

In the 325i/328i RWD series, used 06/09 models were the best bets... they are still getting the bugs out of the 330i/335i/135i/525i/528i/530i/7/X5 Series... The 06/09 X3 look like good bets, and also the BMW Z4 looks like a reliable sports car.

Hopefully BMW's reliability will catch up with its beautiful looks and its incredible handling.

Before you buy any BMW, new or used, read your annual Consumers Reports Auto Guide that comes out every year in April. BMW had some lemons that I am sure they would like to forget about...

2006 BMW 3 Series 320d Msport Touring 2000d from UK and Ireland

Model year2006
Engine and transmission 2000d Automatic
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Very expensive turbo fault

Turbo fault.

Pistons replaced.

New head.

General Comments:

Faulty Turbo 320d.

I have been driving BMWs for 20 years, and never again. BMW UK know that there is a fault with the Turbos on 2005 - 2010 models.

My 320d 2006 96k miles had full service history with a BMW dealer. Six weeks after its last service, the turbo failed, resulting in lost power. I took the car to BMW to be told it was the turbo (cost £1560). After fitting the new turbo, the car then blew two pistons in the garage, resulting in a final bill of £3300. No help from BMW UK. I was told I should have taken an extended warranty.

Review Date: 20th October, 2010

20th Oct 2010, 08:53

You now know why BMW = "Bust My Wallet"

24th Nov 2010, 14:59

Before I bought my used 2006 300i, I was looking at a 2007 335d series with a turbo engine, and the man at the dealership told me no way. He told me of the numerous pitfalls with BMW turbo engines. I am sorry you are having such trouble. BMW should refund everyone having trouble with this turbo nonsense.

27th Oct 2011, 15:37

I have a 2006, 330i BMW, and I will never buy another BMW, EVER! BMW is making overpriced JUNK! Dealerships treat customers like whale DUNG!!! Too much crap on these cars that break, and the car is built to break down, so you buy another BMW.

BMW found out that their cars were built so well, that people drove them for decades, and they lost money. Now they are made cheap, to last a decade or less, so you'll have to buy another BMW. You've lost me as a customer BMW. I'm done with you.