2006 BMW 3 Series Reviews - Page 7 of 7

2006 BMW 3 Series 320i Sport 2.2 petrol N/A from Hong Kong

Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 2.2 petrol N/A Semi-Automatic

Summary:

Fantastic Machine

Nothing! Fabulous.

I thought it is a German Product, but it is built in SA and quality in good; better than my Range Rover, I recon slightly better than my E280

General Comments:

Fantastic responsive engine, although only 2200cc it is very quick and quicker than my E280 and Range Rover (probably the weight)

The Gearbox changes is super smooth, on par with the RR and Merc.

The seats are good quality, but the back is squash and the front sitting position is low and is v. hard to get in. Not the car when I take the whole family (though when we are in a rush, we will take it!)

Gearbox changes is rather late often at 3300 rpm which is much higher than my Merc. (2500 rpm) and the RR (2000 rpm). I also have the feeling that the gearbox have a tendency to hold on to the clutch rather too long.

Over talking fantastic, power in all power bands. It has got a boy racing look, totally different from the subtle RR and Merc.

Rather noisy, could be the uprated exhaust, and also rather short travel suspension.

Awful sound system, it is the business unit with figure tip control, but only 6 speakers, non on the rear door card. The sound is no way as good as the Harmon Cardon on the Range Rover or the Merc (which I think is Becker)

As I said, handle very well and very responsive engine and gearbox, good brakes as well. Fantastic driving machine, this one with the Sport pack definitely looks better than the new 3 series, which in my opinion is just as ugly as the other BMW models nowadays.

Review Date: 15th October, 2006

31st Oct 2006, 18:01

Pardon, but isn't the 320i a 2.0 litre job if it is an '06 model?

14th Nov 2006, 00:08

Yes, 2006 320i is a 2 litre 4 cylinder engine. Previous model was a 2,171cc 6 cylinder.

26th Jul 2007, 23:34

Hi, I am the original author of the article. It is the E46 type - so it is the 2.2 6 cylinder.

2006 BMW 3 Series Touring Executive 320i from Netherlands

Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 320i Manual
Previous carRenault Espace

Summary:

Great drive

Steering pump gave up after just 8000km's.

General Comments:

Really great handling car, better than Audi A6 I am driving now. I would go for the 325i (or the 320d) if I had the choice again: the 320i just lacks a little bit of torque (the 320Si should be enough). Otherwise the engine is very smooth and picks up nicely from low rpm. Very fuel efficient too, I am a "sporty" driver and I still got 11 km's to the liter. Gear change is not very smooth, but was getting better as the car got more km's on it. Interior is roomy enough for family with 2 kids, the only thing missing are compartments to put things: there are virtually none. The dealership where I got the car, was not very interested in repairing the steering pump, so I took my business to another one. The arrogance of the BMW dealers is a bit annoying.

Review Date: 21st September, 2006

2006 BMW 3 Series 325i 2.5 from North America

Model year2006
Year of manufacture2005
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

High performer and very comfortable, very solid and secure to drive

Driver door handle sticks up.

Car is very low to ground, hitting every small bumps or when parking, the curves.

General Comments:

Well, its not the same as my 2002 325i, don't like the braking system, the car sits very low, handle to open doors sticks in the up position so you can't close the door, I did address the low car issue with no return. A car this well made should not have little problems like doors sticking, I think BMW should be able to disconnect this braking system and also give us the choice of having regular tires rather than flat free, no spare is present. If I could, I would sell the car and buy a new 2005 instead, they were a better car, not talking about the looks or shape, the 2006 drives super well and very confortable.

The car performs very well and its fast.

Review Date: 14th March, 2006