Buick LaCrosse Reviews - Page 3 of 5

2007 Buick LaCrosse CXL 308 FIJ from North America

Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission 308 FIJ Automatic
Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

Bad to worse

Purchased my 2007 Buick LaCrosse CXL on a lease for three years, do not plan on buying it.

First 1770 miles, noticed the engine was using oil, took it back to the Buick dealer, also called Buick customer dept, Detroit, was told this is normal, Can't believe they won't do anything..!!!

My third Buick since 1995, probably my last GMC car. Then they wonder why they're not doing well.

Review Date: 30th July, 2009

7th Aug 2009, 23:40

Buy yourself a new Avalon. Not only will you love it, but it's also an American car, unlike that Buick that was built in Canada.

8th Aug 2009, 15:44

Yeah, an American Toyota. Does Toyota sound like an American name to you, it doesn't to me. That's because it is a Japanese company. I don't care if the car is manufactured here, it is a product of a Japanese company. The Canadian Buick does a lot more for the American economy than the Avalon, don't try to fool yourself. Anyway, they are very boring cars and very over priced.

2005 Buick LaCrosse CXL 3.8 Liter V6 from North America

Model year2005
Year of manufacture2005
Engine and transmission 3.8 Liter V6 Automatic

Summary:

It is the best standard car the GM can design to date

Our Buick pulled to the right quite badly when we first bought it. It turned out that the factory had not fixed a problem with the steering after design and produced it "As Is". But, with a quick run to the dealership, they had it fixed in no time.

Still, cars are not supposed to come out of the factory with imperfections. Just ask the people who produced the Beetle, for they would disassemble an entire car if there was a dent in the dashboard.

The only other problem is that the technical controls (e.g. electric chairs, air conditioning buttons, etc.) have either worn out considerably or are in the process of having the paint wear away.

Also, an annoyance arises with the radio. It automatically turns the volume down when the car slows and the exact opposite when the car speeds up! It is a novel idea on safety that turns into a great nuisance after a few tries at the knobs.

General Comments:

It is a well built car and is perfectly suited for long road trips or interstate driving. It performs brilliantly in a straight line. However, once you throw some corners at it, you are in for a real shock. It feels like the whole car is going to tip over if you take a hard corner over 25 mph!

The cabin is very comfortable and roomy for a mid-sized sedan. The suspension makes it feel as though you are riding on a boat (which, you could say, the car is).

Then again, I do not believe the car had the option for AC vents in the back, and it shows. The car was typically designed for the midwest or the northeast. We live in the Sonoran desert; so, if you have passengers in the back, the AC must be on full blast during the summer months; which effectively drowns out the music if the radio is on.

Now, to the gentleman who quoted this car as a new "Youth Oriented" model, I have some dire news: IT IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE. I am a teenager, and I do think the car is quite beautiful. But don't kid yourself, its curvy features, quadruple headlamps, and severe lack of handling only appeal to the elderly population. My family just bought it because of sentimental reasons.

All in all, though, it is stubbornly reliable, has more than enough power to get it going, can return an average of 28 mpg depending on driving conditions, and will last at least half a century (You can't prove it won't happen!).

Review Date: 28th July, 2009

29th Jul 2009, 17:14

I am only 24 and I think the LaCrosse is a very nice car, but you are definitely right, most guys my age would never consider one. At one time the average buyer was 69 (the oldest in the industry). I considered a new one when I traded my '99 Park Avenue last year but decided on an '05 Park Avenue with 17 thousand miles. I personally like the looks of the LaCrosse better than the larger Lucerne. I have never driven a Lucerne but know someone who was intending on buying a LaCrosse and decided on the Lucerne after test driving both. The LaCrosse CXL I test drove didn't drive quite as smooth as my grandma's '03 Century but overall was quite comfortable. Unfortuantely the trend is towards less floaty suspensions, I love that floaty ride like in my Park Avenue and will definitely miss it. It saddens me to see the upcoming '10 Lacrosse. It looks like a Camry clone and will probably lose even more Buick customers. I know I wouldn't buy one.