2001 Chevrolet Blazer Reviews

Year of manufacture2000
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 4.3 Vortec Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

Garbage can, through and through...

What HASN'T gone wrong is the question:

At the time of purchase, the 4wd wasn't engaging, but the problem was repaired by the used car dealer it was purchased from (at no cost to me).

A month after buying it, the ABS began to act up until eventually it stopped working altogether (it was erratic anyway, and I feel safer without it).

The radiator cracked 3 months later; replaced it and flushed the cooling system good, and converted it to non-Dexcool antifreeze, due to all the problems I've heard about it.

It blew an axle bearing and seal that damaged the axle shaft on the affected side.

The 4wd gave out AGAIN about a year and a half after purchase; ended up having to replace the transfer case shift motor (don't remember if that was the problem before purchase).

The thermostat stuck open and needed to be replaced.

The L/F hub bearing began making a noise, and was replaced.

4wd gave out AGAIN, due to faulty shift motor (possible dud), replaced only months before.

The transmission blew up with little to no warning, total overhaul required.

Ate the R/F hub bearing, needed to be replaced.

Another axle seal and bearing needed to be replaced.

The starter began to fail recently and was replaced.

The transmission, which was rebuilt, is now popping out of overdrive intermittently at around 55-60, likely due to a solenoid that was probably a dud from the get go.

Now it needs a new driver's side motor mount.

I wonder what else will happen, hmm...

General Comments:

Largely due to my dad, a lifelong GM guy, I had it in me to follow that route (had nothing but GM vehicles since I started driving), but after all the grief this thing has given me (as well as the bailout of the company), I have reconsidered/renounced that loyalty, and will never, EVER own another GM vehicle. We should not have given them taxpayer money to save their sorry tails, we should have let them go belly up; that way they'd no longer be around to push off their mass-produced, low-quality garbage on the public.

Before this, I had a '93 S10 Blazer that was purchased at about the same mileage, and by the time it rolled 150,000 it didn't have HALF the things go wrong with it that this one has had, it's still on the road and after 18 years/nearly 200,000 miles, it still has its original transmission; this one didn't even make it to 150,000. The 4wd system was always reliable and I could depend on it when needed, it never needed to have all 4 wheel bearings replaced, the motor mounts are still strong, and the starter lasted to about 165,000. My '93 vs my '01 shows how GM quality steadily went down the drain over the years.

The one good point to this thing is probably the 4.3 V6, a very rugged machine that can take quite a bit of punishment, it's just a shame that everything else around it seems to fall apart with quite a bit of consistency.

As soon as I have the funds to do so, I'm parting with this thing and with GM vehicles period. I'm looking to Toyota, Nissan, or Ford for my next truck purchase...

Review Date: 21st September, 2011

2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4.3 from North America

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2001
Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

It sucks!

It has had heating problems, and had the thermostat replaced, the heater core checked, the system flushed... But it still has no heat.

There are problems with hood latch. The passenger's side door will not close. The sending unit for the gas tank needs to be replaced. Power steering box is leaking and is on its way out. There is some sort of electrical problem going on now. The car doesn't want to start and stay running some days.

General Comments:

This was a bad purchase! I will never buy another Blazer again!

Review Date: 23rd December, 2010