1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Reviews - Page 4 of 7

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Base 2.2 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Decent car for the price

TCC Solenoid was disconnected at 105,000 miles due to stalling.

Alternator replaced at 114,000 miles.

Rattling noise from the dash.

General Comments:

This car gets very good gas mileage.

The only thing that needed to be done before the alternator and TCC Solenoid was a brake job.

Was an excellent car until about 100,000 miles, then we had a few things go wrong.

Review Date: 10th October, 2003

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L 4-cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.2L 4-cylinder Automatic
Most recent distance142000 miles
Previous carGeo Metro

Summary:

A decent looking, reliable, economical car

When I purchased the car, It was making a rattling/clicking noise under the hood. Later diagnosis revealed a faulty Automatic belt tensioner. Fixed myself for under $30.

Motor mounts are almost completely gone. (Have yet to fix)

Windshield wipers won't return to "park" position. (Have yet to fix)

Horribly clogged fuel filter prevented the car from cranking up, unless ignition was held for about 30 seconds. Replaced said filter for about $20.

Interior trim and carpet is worn and cracked, and the dash squeaks and rattles.

Air conditioning is non-functional, due to a compressor problem ($1000 repair estimate).

Driver's side headlight lens is yellowed and dull.

Door panel pins keep breaking, causing entire panel to detach from door.

General Comments:

Decent gas mileage, even compared to the Geo I used to drive.

I expected a lot of maintenance on a higher-mileage car, but this is slightly more than I bargained for.

Got the car for $2200 from a friend, and I've put about that much back into it, taking into account repairs and modifications.

To sum it up, my '95 Cavalier has had a few problems, but nothing severe enough to keep it from operating.

Review Date: 1st September, 2003

9th May 2006, 15:15

I am a student who has recently bought a 95 cavalier, each time I turn to the right I hear a grinding noise. what could that be due to? I thought it was the bearing, but when I got it checked out they said the bearing was fine. any ideas?

4th Jul 2006, 08:56

Grinding Guy. Ours did that too. It was a CV joint. (The knuckle on the drive axel) cost about $100 for the part.

18th Sep 2006, 15:12

Could definitely be a CV joint, or possibly even the linkage assembly (though I don't think that'd be so much "grinding", I'd have to hear the noise myself). Take it to a good shop and they should be able to find out what your problem is.

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L from North America

First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 2.2L Automatic
Previous carFord Tempo

Summary:

You get what you pay for

Replaced head gasket twice before the 100,000 mile restriction.

Replaced wheel bearing twice in front both sides.

Replaced valve cover gasket.

Replaced thermostat.

Replaced brakes 3 times.

Replaced rotors twice.

General Comments:

Car currently has 133,000 miles and still running strong besides wheel bearings in front (replaced twice each). Anyone with any ideas please e-mail me at kevink52@hotmail.com. I would appreciate it.

Not the most comfortable driving.

Not a bad car for the money.

Original tires and brakes were great.

Not bad to work on.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2003

15th Oct 2004, 08:04

Don't bet on your car. my cavalier has 130298 miles on it and I have naver had to replaces them parts. so stop beting on it and you won't have to replace any thing.don't ride you brake and you won't have to replace you rotors.

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.1 from North America

Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

Two Thumbs Up, for sure!!

The brakes have been replaced twice. The alternator went at 100,000 miles. The cadillac converter went at 110,000 miles.

General Comments:

This a great car for college students and younger adults. I would by another one. I found that the price to maintain this car was very inexpensive. For a couple thousand dollars, you can't beat it!!

Review Date: 3rd April, 2003

1995 Chevrolet Cavalier from North America

Distance when acquired72000 miles
Previous carMercury Cougar

Summary:

A cheap car with lots of costly maintenance!

I have owned my 1995 Cavalier (or Cadavalier, as I like to call it) less than 2 years. It has had its moments, though, mostly bad ones. I have put a lot of money into it, and should have done the carfax.com facts before I purchased the vehicle. Although it has not been in any major accidents, it has been owned by 5 other people! It was even used as a “Government Taxi” at one point. I have replaced the water pump, alternator, muffler, brakes, tires, etc. etc.!!

I received notification about an ignition switch recall. When I took it in for this service, the dealer informed us the head gasket appeared to be leaking. He had to have known about the ‘service issue’ that GM had out on this car, that I found out about by reviewing web sites like this. A few months later, the gasket blew. Luckily it didn’t crack the head, but cost nearly 800.00 to fix. Then, 4 days later, it sputtered out and died. Come to find out, the gas gauge is broken, and it is out of gas! It sat ‘dead’ for 2 months and I had no clue that the gauge was broken! Now my transmission doesn’t want to go into 3rd as easily as it should.

General Comments:

I am very frustrated over this car even though I always trusted GM. However, when I talked to them, they refused to do anything for me - I was over the mileage and the age of the car was 3 months past the deadline as well. I also own a rusty Mercury Cougar which has been a much better car; it has gotten me to and from work all winter so far, and it is paid for! Don't think I will buy another Chevy.

Review Date: 7th February, 2003

13th Sep 2003, 10:05

You shouldn't blame GM for your car's problems. You bought a fleet vehicle with 5 previous owners, your lucky it lasted as long as it did. Don't blame GM for your lack of foresight and judgment, fleet cars are driven hard and are given the bare minimum maintenance. Next time you buy a car, do a little research before you hand over the cash.