1989 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

Reliable nice ride

Mechanically nothing has gone wrong since I bought the car. The body is a bit worn, someone used like a Brillo pad on the body to clean it, so the paint has scratched swirls on it, and the front bumper seems to have encountered a low speed run in with something. But there's no major dents or dings, and no rust.

General Comments:

This is my second Chevy Celebrity; my first was an 89 Eurosport that I had bought/financed back in 93, which was a great car and so very reliable. Now my daughter is working, so I needed something reliable that she could drive to and fro. So I looked for a Celebrity.

Finally found one for $1000. It looked good enough, and it ran like a champ, so I had no quarrel with the price, and paid it in full. The interior is still in immaculate condition, but the body not so immaculate, as noted in the things gone wrong paragraph. The best part of getting this one, was that it had just barely over 100k mileage, documented/CarFax miles no less. I was shocked at the miles, just the icing on the cake if you ask me.

It still runs like a champ, rides like a champ, and still looks good enough too. Maybe a little sand paper and a clear coat refresh, and this thing will look new again.

If you're looking for a good reliable car, the Celebrity is rock solid. Maybe not the coolest looking car, but clean lines and design give it a nice look. In fact, I think I'll start looking to get me another Eurosport version, or if possible, find the Eurosport VR model.

Review Date: 31st October, 2011

3rd Nov 2011, 14:26

The Buick Century is just a bit more common, and as all these cars are getting rare nowadays, one might be well advised to include the Buick in one's search for a reliable car.

18th Nov 2011, 17:25

I agree, and add that the Cutlass Ciera and Pontiac 6000 should be noted as well, since they are the same platform as the Buick Century and Chevy Celebrity. What's even more hard to find are the 2 door coupes of these cars. I am finding that as of Nov 2011, that there are quite a few Centurys and Cieras on craigslist, but very very few Celebritys or 6000s. The Celebrity Eurosport is even harder to find at this time.

1989 Chevrolet Celebrity LS 2.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Like a rock!

Oil leak.

Thermostat was stuck closed.

General Comments:

I bought this car for $400, I needed a car and it was cheap.

Now I admit I always thought of the Celebrity as an ugly cheaply made car. After owning one, I can say they are a reliable, cheap to repair, well made car.

It had a 2.8 V6, and a 4 speed automatic. It was good on gas, and had a lot of power as well. The trans shifted well, and the motor ran smooth.

The only downside was it had an oil leak, and the thermostat was stuck closed. Other than that, no other work other than oil and such was done to it.

Review Date: 17th January, 2011

18th Jan 2011, 02:05

These are great cars. They get excellent fuel mileage, and it still feels like you are driving a big car. They last forever with little maintenance too.

I'm actually still alive today because of a Chevy Celebrity. It saved my life when I was in an accident in 2000.

I got t-boned on the driver's side by a Subaru Impreza doing over 50k. None of my passengers or myself were hurt fortunately. Driver of the Subaru had minor injury only.

The Subaru was a total writeoff, with engine parts strewn all over the road.

The Celebrity was barely damaged, the rear door was slightly bent and did not open anymore, and a dent in the rocker panel. We drove it away from the scene of the accident, and just kept driving it, it was fine.

This is a very solid, safe car, very well designed.

24th Nov 2011, 16:13

I've never been in an accident with either of my Celebrity cars, and hope I never do, but it's nice to know that it can take a hard hit like that and keep on truck'n. This just reaffirms my faith and addiction to Chevy Celebrity.

Since my review of the 89 Celeb I recently bought for my daughter:

My wife now wants one for herself, and the youngest of my two boys also wants one. Looks like by summer time we'll have at least 4 Chevy Celebs sitting out front.

26th Nov 2011, 13:31

To 16:13: I love it!! My brother's best car was a Chevy Celebrity, and when one of my friends bought a late-model Camry, only to have it totally disintegrate in 6 months, he replaced it with a battered old celebrity that he bought for only $250. He drove it for another decade with no problems. These cars are great cars. Contrary to myth, GM has always built some really great cars. I drive one now that just passed 100,000 miles without a single repair, not even a brake job.