1998 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1 from North America
Junk.. Money pit
Bought in 2000 and car worked OK, but in 2002 things changed. It was always a gas hog though.
1. A/C does not work in 1 and 2 position.
2. One of the tail lights doesn't work (I've noticed that other Malibu's have the same problem).
3. Replaced battery 2 times.
4. Replaced alternator.
5. Replaced water pump.
6. Starting in 2002 the brakes pads and rotors had to be changed every 6 months. I changed the calipers and brake hoses and master cylinder trying to stop this cycle, but nothing works. My only solution was using ceramic pads versus carbon pads, and this seems to extend the life by 3 to 6 months.
7. ENGINE replaced at 130,000 miles. Still a gas hog. (250 miles on tank of gas) $1500 for engine and installation. Car was towed to a mechanic that was recommended by friend, and he charged $900 for fake excuses, and after 2 weeks went and pulled my car out of his garage and towed to another. Cost $700 for 3 weeks car rental.
8. Passenger side wheel bearing $400
June 01 2007; just changed the windshield wiper transmission (it flew apart while I was traveling at 70mph on interstate).
June 07 2007; engine would not idle. I had to put in neutral and give gas to keep the engine going, and even while driving, I had to keep pressure on the gas pedal or the engine would die.
Did not find cause for this. It stopped this and started to idle normal after a week.
Did have other issues, but don't have the time to list. I will buy Toyota next time.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 10th June, 2007