1998 Chevrolet Malibu Reviews - Page 12 of 48

1998 Chevrolet Malibu V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carDodge Shadow

Summary:

This is an excellent car!

During the time I have owned the car, the only problem that has occurred is the Alternator went about 1 month into owning the car.

General Comments:

I honestly love this car. Even with the bad reviews I have hear it is a great car, runs good and is very comfortable to drive. I would honestly buy another one. The Chevrolet Malibu is a great car!

Review Date: 27th February, 2007

27th Feb 2007, 21:39

Pay ZERO attention to the bad reviews. For some reason if a guy buys a Chevy and the turn signals stop working at 400,000 miles, it is a "piece of crap", but if a Honda transmission fails at 40,000 miles they just say "Oh, that's only one little problem. It only happens once every 500 years". You have a very well-built, durable car. The mid size GM cars are the best value in a used car anywhere.

14th Dec 2007, 21:36

Besides the car falling apart, they look OK and if you got the v6 you might do OK. If you got a quad-4, get rid of it as soon as possible or you will eventually have a car that doesn't run. Average repair bill on quad-4, $1500.00.and guess what? After it's repaired you still have a Quad-4 that will no doubt break down again sooner than later.

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LS 3.1 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

I like this car and am very happy I purchased it

Rear window defroster wire is broken.

Steering wheel showing wear.

Power windows are sticky and move slow.

General Comments:

I bought this car as a second, cheap car to get to work. My wife likes more than the Taurus and wants to drive it all the time. The Taurus is in good shape also.

It is a very quick car and handles very well. It is a joy to drive.

It is not a luxury car, but is still very comfortable.

It is getting very good gas mileage, better than the Taurus with a 3.0L engine.

Review Date: 17th February, 2007

1998 Chevrolet Malibu LT 2.4L Inline 4 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 2.4L Inline 4 Automatic
Previous carNissan 300ZX

Summary:

This car is a great value

I have had very few problems with this car.

One of the rear windows stopped rolling up and down properly, so I left it up at all times, it never leaked.

The rear view mirror fell off of the windshield at one point. That repair was a simple one and was about 3 dollars to glue back on.

I bought the car used and there were recalls on the wipers and steering systems, please note I had no issues with them and to this day no problems have arisen.

I had to have a rebuilt transmission put in the car, thought this could be from the previous owner. I've had relatively few problems and repair costs were reasonable.

General Comments:

I put nearly 40,000 miles on the car in the roughly 2 years I owned it and I drove the car for trips over 600 miles at a time and had one issue with the transmission. I was never stranded in the car and had no issues with the mechanics of the engine.

The car is comfortable. It is as comfortable as the Nissan I had and was very roomy; I am over 6’5: and never felt cramped.

The cup holder in the console was great. It held many sizes very well.

One big thing I liked was the gas efficiency. On trips I got any where from 30 to 34 miles per gallon. When gas went up I was pleased knowing the car got form 25-34 miles per gallon.

The trunk and cab of the car were roomy and stood up to wear and tear pretty well. I had gray cloth and never had any torn fabric or broken seams.

One note the gear shift on the car became a little loose after about 6 months. This never affected the usability of the car.

The tire wear on this car was fantastic.

The paint held up well.

This car was in an accident this week. I hit a deer and it totaled the car. I was able to significantly slow down, which certainly helped the situation. I walked away with no injuries.

I consider this car a good value for the money.

Review Date: 7th November, 2006