2000 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews - Page 14 of 15

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership1991
Engine and transmission 5.3 L Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Truck

Summary:

A very expensive disappointment

Accelerator sticks.

Steering shaft replaced.

Driver lumbar support in-operable.

Truck pulls to the right.

All doors rusted.

Hood rusted in the engine compartment.

Four wheel drive in-operable.

Very noisy interior.

Engine knocks when started.

General Comments:

The truck has had a lot of problems, the dealership has tried to repair however, some like the rust keeps returning. They have no idea why.

I contacted Chevrolet customer service to see what they would do and found they will do nothing. I suggested extending the warranty which they refused. My brother-in-law had problems with an Oldsmobile and extending the warranty was their suggestion.

Although I'm not satisfied with the amount of time I've spent in the shop, nearly 3 weeks since delivery. I'm very disappointed with Chevrolet customer service.

The door rust was repaired and is now returning 2 months later.

The truck is not a base model. I ordered every possible option on it.

Review Date: 29th August, 2001

30th Aug 2001, 10:31

It seems Chevrolet quality has gone down the tubes in the last few years. I, too, was appalled at their customer service, or should I say lack of customer service. I can understand a defect in a vehicle from a company that produces so many every day, but the customer service is totally unacceptable. I am much, much more offended by that than the actual problem. They absolutely refuse to give you the time of day unless you are within your warranty, and then I can imagine they find every reason to not pay for problems. It's sickening how they treat customers.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4.8 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Most recent year of ownership2001
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Please don't make the same mistake I did

Vibration in the steering wheel.

Pulling to the right.

Using 2 quarts of oil every 5000 miles.

Squealing in the power steering.

Transmission not shifting correctly.

Rattles inside like a kids toy.

Wind noise inside the cab.

Brakes pulsating almost to the floor before stopping.

General Comments:

Let me just say that this truck has been a nightmare beginning just over 2000 miles.

One of my main concerns is the oil usage. Here's something G. M doesn't advertise. There guidelines for normal oil usage is one quart of oil per 1000 miles.

The service I have received to this point is pathetic to say the least. There seems to be absolutely no concern on the part of the dealership.

My previous experience with a G. M product was great. The 1990 model went for 10 years without a moments trouble. It had 170,000 on it when I sold it to buy this new piece of junk. What a mistake.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2001

1st Nov 2001, 20:45

My 2001 Silverado truck with the 8.1 liter engine and Alison transmission "blew" a rod at 4500 hundred miles. Two weeks later it developed another engine noise. Now in the shop for that repair. What other surprises might I be in for?

20th Aug 2002, 23:44

GM came out with an updated PCV valve to help curtail oil consumption.

1qt per 1k miles can be called normal though, Hondas practically do the same thing, at 1000/1500 mile intervals. And its dead common for rotary engines (like those found in Mazda RX7s) to burn oil.

26th Jun 2003, 07:24

I have a 2000 Silverado I purchased new. It now has 25,000 miles on it. The dealer changes the oil and lubricates it for $ 10.00 on a promotional deal whenever I want it done. I usually have this done about every 2000 miles simply because it's cheap. Anyway, I have not had any oil consumption problems that I consider abnormal. I have added approximately 1/4 qt. once or twice after 2 or 3 days of 75 mph. driving. I don't think this is unusual, in that it's that 5W-30 they recommend.

I don't feel that the truck has as much power as the other one I have that's 10 years old with the same engine.

13th Mar 2005, 16:24

To answer the cabin wind noise, if it's a 4/3 door cab, make sure that the back doors are fully closed (so that you can't pull them open)...it's a problem I have noticed, but something I discovered how to fix... make sure the door is closed.

13th Jun 2007, 20:10

Don't buy a full size truck with 4 wheel disc brakes!! You will regret it. They constantly warp and the dealer won't do a thing about it. GM has "quietly" started putting rear drum brakes back on their full size pickups. I wonder why???