2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 from North America

It is awesome

The rear end went out at 80,000miles, but it was because of my stupid ass wife not knowing how to drive.

The transmission went out at 85,000 miles.

General Comments:

The truck is awesome it is pretty good quality, but the performance is awesome, I've town about 9000 lbs. with it and it rode great, and it is fast as hell, 0-60 in 8 seconds. this is a kick ass truck, if you are lookin for a truck that gets good mileage and works great for towing and working with, gt a chevy 1500.

Review Date: 19th January, 2006

19th Jan 2006, 15:32

How do you screw up driving an automatic? If it was a standard then I can see her (or you with all your drag strip excursions) messing the rear end up with bad clutching and gear shifting. However I'm curious how a kick ass truck like this can handle some power to the rear end and the tranny too, sounds pretty weak to me. And 8 seconds with an AUTO tranny on a stock engine doesn't sound very believable to me unless you modded it.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.7L from North America

Sticking Throttle plate at 12,000 miles.

Sticking throttle plate at 20,000 miles.

Piston slap begins at 45,000 miles.

New transmission valve body at 55,000.

Rebuilt transfer case at 58,000 miles

Fixed bearing in rebuilt transfer case at 58,050 miles

Looking to sell at 60,000.

General Comments:

This is my 5th Chevy truck and the worst! I've always been a Chevy guy;just can't buy a Ford so, Unfortunately, I will go to a Nissan Titan next.

Review Date: 15th October, 2005

17th Oct 2005, 14:04

Did you maintain it? Like oil changes and oil filter changes. That might account for your piston slap and bearing failures.

The transfer case needs to be taken care of as well. I believe your supposed to follow the owners manual and I thought you had to engage 4wd every once and a while to lubricate the 4wd components...

2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3 Liter V8 from North America

A good truck, but seems to have some of the problems as other silverado owners

The fuel pressure regulator. 3rd gear went out in transmission. Wheel bearing went out, causing ABS sensor to go bad. Door seal leaks on the passenger side. The service 4 wheel drive light comes on after about 20 or so miles. Problems with the air condition not being cold enough. Problem with the heater not being warm enough.

General Comments:

The Engine (5.3 Liter) has plenty of power and hasn't had one problem. The cab has plenty of room in the front and back.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2005

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ex cab 5.3 from North America

I don't like to complain, but this is a sad truck

Motor ticks when started up for last 30000 miles

Tail gate fell off going down road

Brakes would go to floor on a rough road

Seats starting to fall in

Had door rubbers glued back up in place

Power steering pump replaced

And finally the fuel gauge is now bouncing from full to empty all the time

Replaced driver lites three times and last power windows starting to go up slower.

General Comments:

This truck has been driven to work on paved highways the past five years. This is my 5th new Chevy truck over the years and it is going to my 16 year old daughter next month because they say don't buy a good vehicle for their first car. I hate to say it, but a ford is in my future and I have worked for a certain car company for 25 years.

Review Date: 30th July, 2005

2000 Chevrolet Silverado c2500 6.0L Gas from North America

Would buy another Silverado, but would get a diesel next time

3rd and 4th doors were almost impossible to shut and latch when it was very cold (20-30 degrees F) out. Dealer tried to fix many times before replacing latches with new design that fixed problem.

Cold breeze in passenger side foot well from under dashboard. Dealer tried several times to fix with limited success, finally replaced complete heater and ductwork unit in dash which corrected the problem.

CD player skips after extended use. Dealer replaced, new unit is better, but occasionally skips when hot.

6.0L gas engine is underpowered for this truck at Denver, CO elevations. When on cruise control at highway speeds the transmission frequently shifts out of overdrive to climb hills when speed is 70mph or higher. Too much weight and wind-resistance for gearing and horsepower/torque curve.

6.0L gas engine must be revved to pull camper and cargo trailer up hills, results in 9-10 mpg. Truck only gets 14-16mpg when unladen if I don't go any faster than 68mph; above 68mph the mileage drops quickly.

General Comments:

Nice truck, very comfortable for a 3/4 ton truck, but the 6.0L gas engine is not powerful enough for what I do. I would've bought the new diesel, but demand was so high Chevy wouldn't sell me one at the time I ordered this one.

This is an extended-cab, 8' box truck, when I tried to order it Chevy wouldn't allow my dealer to place the order for several months and then they wouldn't build it with the diesel. To get the truck ordered I had to write nasty letters to GM on their website, surprisingly the very next day my dealer called with the OK to place the order-- I'd been waiting several months to give them my money and they couldn't take it. What a screwy way to run your business.

Review Date: 4th December, 2004

22nd Mar 2005, 16:50

That is really something that you had to practically beg Chevy to take your money. I am fond of GM, but some of their business practices do often times leave me scratching my head.

Thank you for a very nice, complete, review. It was good of you to mention about the altitudes you are operating the truck at, possibly causing some of power issues. I do not live in a high area, but have experienced those altitude effects on vehicle performance, when I have been on travel. I was surprised at how pronounced it was.

I guess the real question, for those of us who live at sea level, is how does the Silvarado compare to other comparable vehicles in that environment? I know they run tremendously well here.