2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3 from North America

I bought this truck from a business, passed down from boss to salesman to me. Lots of highway miles, it was all stock. Ext. cab, very good shape, got it at a low price.

Never had any trouble till this past year, the water pump went out, which is common. Then at one point it got really bad when cranking; it would stumble, I'd let it sit just a minute, and it would clear itself out. Started checking around under the hood, pulled the vacuum line off the fuel regulator - it was full of gas. Replaced it, and it fixed the problem!

I do not take it easy on this truck, I run it up to 100 all the time and shut it down. I have to keep the tires rotated on it because I'm always smoking the rear tires; in fact just got a new set on it.

General Comments:

It has been a good truck, and is still running strong!

Driver's seat is showing wear, key switch is acting up because the key doesn't have many grooves left on it. After 253000 miles, I bet it has been cranked many times over!

American made and it shows. I'm very proud to drive a Chevy! I also have a 96 S10 Blazer, 85 k5 Blazer in very good shape, strong motor! 82 Chevy pickup and an 86 Trans Am - very fast

Review Date: 28th March, 2009

2000 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4.8 from North America

Well at 178000 miles my radiator plugged up.

At 222000 miles my crankshaft sensor went out.

Oh ya, and I replaced my water pump cos I wanted to.

General Comments:

This 2000 Chevy pickup truck runs and handles great. Could not ask for a better truck.

I drive that thing like I stole it, even with the 245000 miles on it.

I do believe that you do have lemon trucks, and those you will have problems with.

I have had normal problems with the truck, all the ones that are being talked about, but the good thing is I work on my on truck. Thank God for the repair manuals.

Review Date: 27th February, 2009

2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4.8L from North America

Summary:

Would buy another, but this one won't die

Battery and positive cable needed replacing.

Tires replaced twice.

Daylight running lamps replaced 5 times each.

Rear driver's side shackle replaced after snapping in half.

Front-end alignment.

General Comments:

Gas mileage excellent for an older V8.

Steering gets a little loose with age.

Throttle sticks after a while-- issue is easily treated with lubricant on the flap and cleaner under the flap.

Very roomy.

Hauls pretty much anything.

Missed a few oil changes and still runs like a champ.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2008

2nd Jul 2008, 22:49

Heck man, your Chevy is barely broken in. Our family still uses the Silverado my late father-in-law bought new in 1983.

It's on it's 3rd 100,000 mile odometer roll-over. That's only slightly behind our '75 Ford, which was on it's 4th 100,000 mile roll over when traded.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4.8L V8 from North America

Summary:

Best truck for your money - do it!

Parking brake.

Gets 18mpg. Used to be a plus, was the reason I bought it when gas was $1/g. Still gets 18mpg, 90% of my driving is highway... so, I'm not getting rid of it. I have to have a truck for my 3 acres.

General Comments:

Chevy knows how to build V-8's. If you are thinking of buying a Toyota truck, you are throwing money away. I will submit to Toyota building the best truck on the road today, but for the money, they can't beat Chevy.

If gas was still cheap, I'd be looking at another Chevy Silverado. If you have no other choice other than buying a truck, BUY A SILVERADO. Better gas mileage, great quality!

Review Date: 9th June, 2008

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3 liter from North America

Summary:

Ah... so so

Last year I bought a used 2000 Silverado 1500 regular cab, long bed 2 wheel drive with the 5.3 automatic transmission. Family and friends wanted me to scrap my old 1978 Chevy C10 with 334,000 miles, 3 speed manual 305 V8 that I got as a high school graduation present in 1985 for years.

I bought the 2000 model because I didn't care for the look of the 2003+ Silverado front ends. My newer truck does have some get up and go when you push the pedal down, and I do like the look of the body. But, those years had problems with piston slap and transmission problems that my old truck NEVER had. After a cold start in the morning, the 2000 Silverado sometimes make me rethink my decision to "upgrade" trucks. Pinging when its hot, knocking when its cold. there's a noise for every temperature!

Even though the bodies are made of galvanized steel, I've seen many of the '99-02 trucks with rusting out rocker panels and cab corners, AGAIN. The sheet metal is quite thin and dents easily.

I think the old 350 was as good as it gets for durability. If my newer truck had that engine instead, along with the manual transmission, I probably wouldn't be writing this today.

BTW, the 2008 Silverados look terrible. Maybe the $30,000 - $40,000 Silverados can be prettied up more though. I guess I'll keep the old '78 going as long as I can, even if she takes a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, which next to some newer Vortecs - is pretty good.

Review Date: 28th April, 2008