2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD LS Standard Cab Long 5.3L V8 from North America

Summary:

Reliable and powerful truck that I can comfortably drive 600 miles in one sitting and on one tank

The fuel pressure regulator was leaky causing hard starts, but did not affect performance. Replaced for less than $50.

General Comments:

Cab interior rattles due to plastic components.

Handles great off-road and in fields.

Engine is quiet, but sounds aggressive during acceleration.

34 gallon tank hurts on fillup, but lasts over 500 miles.

The long bed makes hauling easy and convenient.

Adding a toolbox to the bed makes up for the lack of back seats due to standard cab.

Review Date: 4th October, 2006

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Ext Cab Z71 5.3L Vortec from North America

Summary:

Money well spent!

Auto Transfer Case malfunctioned at 120,000, it turned out to be an electronic malfunction and was relatively inexpensive, approximately $140.

A handful of safety recalls including driver airbag, tailgate cables, brakes, etc. All were dealt with well by my dealership.

Fuel pump failed at 155,000 miles.

Water pump and fan clutch failed at 160,000 miles.

Right rear brake seized at 160,000 miles resulting in complete rear brake job. Must state that this was first brake job ever required. The brakes still had adequate life left in pads. Every oil change at approximately 4000 mile intervals the brakes were checked and measured. I was amazed at the brake life, the fronts are still going strong. Obviously I put a ton of interstate miles on this truck and brake much less than average driver.

General Comments:

I have been very pleased with this truck. I ordered it new and it was one of the first to come out of the factory with the fourth door on the drivers side of the extended cab. I loaded it out with options, up to level of LT, but without the leather. The interior is very comfortable and has held up great. Wind noise has always been a bit loud at the right rear window, but was able to live with it.

Aside from routine maintenance, and things that one would expect to start going out after 100,000 miles, this truck has been very solid. I am due for another tune-up with about 165,000 miles, but my first tune was after 100,000 as advertised.

Gas mileage is actually improving in these later miles. I average 16.5-17mpg around town and nearly 18 on highway. I burn the cheapest gasoline I can find, mostly 85 octane now that I am in Colorado and it is the cheapest. For a 4x4 gasoline powered truck of this size, I feel that is more than acceptable, and for whatever reason is much better than what some other owners are experiencing.

A/C has been great and has never needed service to date. I lived in Dallas for nearly 8 yrs and put the A/C to the test most of the year.

I have been very pleased, and sometimes wonder if I just got lucky, based upon the amounts of negative feedback that I have seen on these trucks.

Review Date: 9th August, 2006

20th Feb 2008, 10:31

Retired this 2000 1/2 ton in Jan 2007 for a new 2006 2500HD crew cab SWB with Duramax/Allison. The 2000 is now the hunting/four-wheeling vehicle that stays down in SW Colorado. It is still going strong, nearly 190000 on it now. Starts right up even after sitting for 3+months in cold garage. I have had great experience with GM trucks and hope it continues with new 3/4ton.

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 2000 chevrolet 1500 2wd 5.3 vortec V8 295hp from North America

Summary:

Great workhorse with o. k reliability

Transmission went out at 80,000.

Rear end went out at 75,000.

General Comments:

I love this truck, its comfortable fast and looks good, this truck is a great hauler and gets good mileage for how much power it has, I have a 6 inch suspension lift and 35 inch bf goodrich all terrains and it looks sweet I have taken this truck on many road trips and it has never failed me once.

Review Date: 5th March, 2006

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 4.8L V8 5speed from North America

Summary:

Well worth it - I'm hooked on Chevy Silverado now!!

The only thing that went wrong (warranty item) was the power steering boot started a slow drip/leak. That was it. Nothing else has ever gone wrong.

I LOVE THIS TRUCK! IT IS BUILD LIKE A ROCK!!!

General Comments:

I had a Ford Ranger for years and drove it into the ground. 139,000 miles later it started giving up, so I traded it in and upgraded to a Chevy Silverado 1500LS shortbed with a V8 and a 5speed manual tranny. I haven't looked back... This truck is awesome and can go anywhere and do anything.

Review Date: 14th February, 2006