2000 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LS 6.0L Vortec from North America

Summary:

***Tow Beast*** One great truck that has and will continue to serve well

Bought the truck for $2600 so I didn't expect a 15 year old truck with over 300k miles to be perfect, however what I have replaced or fixed:

Front/rear differential fluids.

Power steering fluid.

Brake fluid.

Inner/outer tie rods.

Tires.

Alignment.

Transfer case (leaked and sounded horrible in 4wd).

4wd switch.

3rd door exterior door handle.

Driver's door, interior door handle.

Spark plugs/wires.

7 pin plug end.

Air filter (K&N).

AC belt.

Rear brakes.

Driver's side hub bearing.

Engine oil cooler lines.

Installed auxiliary battery (all wiring was there, just needed the battery).

Mode door actuator for the heater/AC.

Serviced AC so it would work again.

Multiple bulbs throughout the truck.

Front shocks.

There is more, but I don't remember right off hand.

Still need to do:

Transmission filter.

Coolant flush.

Thermostat change (pretty sure it's partially stuck open).

Continue to find all the engine oil leaks (uses 1 qt every 600 miles or so).

General Comments:

When I first got the truck it was pretty rough, the body is dented and dinged everywhere, the paint is still intact. The interior was pretty dirty. The carpet is still in bad shape, but I'm not fixing that or the exterior anytime soon. I couldn't go above 40mph without getting the death wobble shake from the tie rods being worn out and the tires were completed destroyed.

As this past year of ownership had progressed, I slowly would replace this and that, and with each repair the truck got just a little better. I really enjoy the power of the engine, but I do take quite a hit on gas mileage compared to my previous 2006 GMC Sierra. I had to replace the GMC due to an accident and I wasn't left with much time to shop. Also I didn't want to have car payments, so I went used. Actually I bought the truck from a side of the road dealership from "out back". The truck wasn't at all ready to be sold, but after talking with the owner, he agreed to sell it to me as is. I figured it to be a great fixer upper so I didn't mind the overall condition or mileage. Right now I've spent somewhere around $3k on the truck, so I figure I still made out ahead compared to buying another brand new and having payments again.

I now have driven for a little over 15k miles. I've gone on a few small road trips (300ish miles round trip) and the truck handles great. I really like the transmission (4L80e)/engine combo along with the 3.73 gears in the rear. This combo makes for an outstanding tow rig. Again the only downside I have is the gas mileage. I used to get high teens with my previous truck. Now I'm lucky if I get 14 or 15 MPG on the highway. I don't mind, since with this one being a 2500 I can tow a whole lot more than my previous truck, and probably get the same towing MPG as the old truck. The truck still needs repairs here and there, but nothing that stops me from driving it everyday.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. With it being the same generation as my previous truck, it made "getting used to it" pretty quick. Also it helped me not miss the old truck as much. I had my old truck for about 8.5 years and 136,612 miles (I have a review in the GMC Sierra section as well.)

I have owned GM for my last 3 vehicles; all were trucks, all were great, and I will continue to buy GM until they stop making vehicles that I like.

Review Date: 15th January, 2016

2000 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LS 6.0L gas from North America

Summary:

Fast, strong, and ready for anything

Only thing that had gone wrong is a rusted brake line at 77,000, which caused me to replace the brakes all the way around, because of rusted brake calipers.

General Comments:

I owned a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 before this one, and I can say this truck is by far way better than that. This truck being a 2500 makes a difference. I've taken this truck on and off road many times, and never had any issues.

I've had no problems other than a brake line in the past year, and I can say it is fairly quick for the year, since I can beat a 2006 Ram 2500 with a Hemi.

So glad I bought this truck. Well worth the money.

Review Date: 20th December, 2012