2001 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews - Page 2 of 7

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS 5.3 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

Couldn't have asked for a better vehicle

The plastic housing around the steering column has separated at the seam, by the ignition.

General Comments:

I have a 2001 C1500 with 103000 miles. It's a regular cab short bed with the side step. 5.3L V8 engine, auto trans. This truck has been GREAT!!! Besides regular maintenance I have done nothing to this truck. I have hauled uhauls, tandem axle flatbed trailers and cattle... from the rear bumper! With no more that some scratched up plastic moldings on the bumper itself. One winter I hydroplaned runnin about 60-65 mph (it was a bad area for that), across I-35 from the NB lane, through the center ditch, through the SB lane, through the next ditch, and on to the service road, truck was still running and drove it to the Chevy house to have the hood, fender, headlight and grille repaired.

I have driven it from TX to MI and back, twice and it got better gas mileage than my intrepid with 2.7 V6. I especially like sitting at stop lights and have one of those little rice burners pull up, 9.5 times out of 10 I blow their doors off.

Overall I will stick with Chevy for years to come, and if I encounter problems then so be it. Nothing is perfect. But I believe if you take care of your vehicle right, it will take care of you.

Review Date: 21st September, 2006

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LS 4.8 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.8 V8 Automatic
Most recent distance62000 miles
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Excellent, Reliable, and Affordable Pre-Owned Truck

Oxygen Sensor replaced at 59150 miles; covered in warranty.

General Comments:

My Truck is the Extended Cab, and this truck was well worth the money paid for it. It was well maintained by the previous owner. Due to situations well beyond my control, I had to put an extra 2000+ miles on it right after I got it, and this truck proved extremely reliable. The push button 4WD is really simple and easy to use. Although it is a "push and go", I still stop the truck, put it in neutral before engaging and disengaging the 4wd as a precaution. Doing this will ensure many years of trouble free use of this feature. This is my 3rd truck in the last 10 years (1st two being Ford F150's), and this one is by far the best one that I have owned. It pulls very nicely and handles extremely well with trailer in tow, and is a very comfortable truck to ride in when traveling long distances. Gas mileage is average, but I didn't buy this truck for that reason. Visibility is pretty good, and the ride in this truck is very quiet. The extended cab back seat has a lot of legroom even for a full grown adult; my 8 year old son commented that it "feels like a Cadillac" in the back seat area. Equipped with a new Bestop Soft bed box top, this truck functions both as a family wagon, grocery getter, and an excellent over the road vehicle. Off Road capabilities are superior. Despite the mileage on this truck when I bought it, this truck functions like a brand new truck at half the price. I expect to still be driving this truck 10 years from now. Next to my 2000 Jeep Wrangler SE, this is definitely one of my better investments.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2006

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Scottsdale

Summary:

A very reliable pickup that drives nicely

Automatic transmission leaked when I took delivery.

Gas gauge suddenly drops to "empty" when full, and back again.

Running lights have burned out three times in first 50,000 miles.

Console door broke off hinges.

Lumbar support knob stopped functioning.

Truck pulls to the right even after alignment.

On two occasions on hot days, the truck started, but failed to idle on its own; however it hasn't happened since.

General Comments:

The 327 engine is fast, gas mileage averages about 17 mpg. I think the best mileage I've managed was about 19 on the highway. Seats are pretty comfortable, and the ride is good. Overall, it is a very good and reliable truck. Previously I owned a 1989 Chevy Scottsdale sportside, and if I had it to over, I wouldn't have ordered the 2001 Silverado; I would have kept the '89. The '89 was a better looking truck, and I enjoyed owning it and driving it more, even though it had roll-up windows, and a six cylinder with a 5 speed.

Review Date: 6th October, 2005