2001 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews - Page 3 of 7

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 4.8L V8 Automatic
Previous carMazda RX7

Summary:

A big solid iron detroit beast

The fuel gage sensor went bad, causing the "Low Fuel" light to flicker on and off repeatedly.

The Temperature control ceased to function, and would stick on the hottest setting unless I restarted the truck.

The tailgate cables were severed all the way through with normal usage, leaving the tailgate to dangle dangerously.

The engine pings under loads unless it has 91 Octane or higher gas in the tank.

General Comments:

The truck has some get up and go, lots of torque and accelerator responsiveness.

The blind spots are large, especially with a topper of any sort, and changing lanes requires much care.

This is a serious tank, although quick, it handles like a big chunk of iron and the turning radius is appallingly large.

Parking the extended cab version is a nightmare, requiring a three point turn nearly every time.

The interior is amazingly quiet and is quite comfortable even on long (4 hour plus) trips.

The headlights do not illuminate the road very well.

Fuel mileage is decent for a truck of this size.

Review Date: 1st August, 2005

30th Nov 2005, 22:13

Hey My father has owned 3 of these similar trucks 2 that were 2000's and one that was a 2001 and all three have had the same problem with the fuel gauge. As well as the tailgate straps we've experienced trouble with, but on that note there was a campaign for them and they have been replaced free of cost at the dealers.

23rd Jul 2008, 03:14

Tailgate cables were replaced with different units through a recall. You people sure you're up to date with everything?

24th Sep 2008, 18:57

I bought my 2000 Silverado used with 18000 miles. I now have 125000 on it.

Only a few problems. The fuel gauge went kaput at 40000 - the tech said it was a common problem and was fixed for $600.

I love this truck. It consistently gets 18-20MPG. I have installed AIM filter and gibson catback with Bosch platinum plugs. Always on I-80 (long trips) I pull 20-22MPG. Once I pulled 24MPG with the wind on my back in WY (1000lbs in back)! I go 70mph.

I have the 4x4 LS with the 4.8, extended cab, short bed. I will keep it till it dies.

15th Dec 2012, 01:42

Do you still have your truck?

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3 OHV V8 from North America

Model year2001
Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 5.3 OHV V8 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Tahoe

Summary:

A beautiful disaster!

PISTON SLAP! Engine rattles as undersized pistons rock in cylinders.

Tailgate support cable snapped (recalled)

Tailgate latches failed (drops while driving)

AC system failed (blows 100* air)

Alternator bearing worn out.

Rubber trim pieces falling out.

General Comments:

I traded my 99 Tahoe in on this 2001 Silverado (Ext cab, short bed, 2WD), and it was a huge mistake. I got it with 58000 miles, and have only driven it about 3000 over two years. Mostly because I can't stand to drive it. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this truck, but my stomach turns just looking at it. I've been a hardcore GM fan my entire life (52 years), and this single vehicle has now turned me against them. I understand they have to cut costs, and I can live with the plastic interior and other cheap parts. But when the V8 heart of my truck is junk, that is unforgivable. I've built enough engines in my life to know what it takes to make a decent one, and they scrimped too much. My only wish is that they'd realize and ACCEPT their mistake, recall some engines, and try to regain our now lost trust in them. I'll be selling my $30,000 piece of garbage, and buying either a Titan, or Tundra.

Review Date: 12th July, 2005

29th Jan 2006, 01:01

His review is too kind.

22nd Mar 2006, 14:47

Is there a such thing as pickup truck drivers that have japanese envy? Redneck ricers?

22nd Mar 2006, 16:41

Did you even use the truck for towing or carrying anything?

Otherwise, buy a cobalt lol.

22nd Mar 2006, 17:21

The original poster paid $30K for a used GM truck with 58,000 miles on it?

I guess PT Barnum marketing is the only thing keeping GM going these days.