2001 Chevrolet Silverado Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3 from North America

Previous carDodge Pickup

Summary:

I love my truck

At about 285000 I replaced the alternator.

At about 287000 I replaced the starter.

The power mirrors have not worked since I bought the truck.

The tailgate had a recall, but that was taken care of.

The belt tension pulley froze up at 326000.

I replaced the radiator at 326700.

General Comments:

The only thing I don't like about the truck is it seems to have a lot of plastic parts.

However, it's the most comfortable and best looking truck around.

Review Date: 4th March, 2010

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD 2.5 HD Duramax diesel from North America

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 2.5 HD Duramax diesel Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Too many issues with injectors and transfer case

Fuel injectors had to be replaced around 103000 miles. This was replaced under warranty and the warranty has been extended to 200000 miles. Today, oil on the ground and the transfer case is leaking. Found same pinhole that everyone else seems to have. Chevy needs to step up and recall!!

General Comments:

The truck has been good.

However when there is a problem, it seems to be major and costs a lot to repair.

Review Date: 8th September, 2008

11th Dec 2008, 15:58

We've had the same issues. All new fuel injectors, pumps, etc. at 99,000 miles. Now again at 105,000.

14th Apr 2009, 15:23

I own a 2001, Chev 2500 HD.

YEP, I had to install a new transfer case due to the pinhole leak created by a bad design. The dealer told me that the new case was reinforced in the area of friction, and that it won't do it again. This was at 80,000 miles. The cost was $1200.00.

I now have 225,000 miles on the truck and it still runs and looks good, except that it has developed an oil leak that seems to not be repairable. A defect in the engine block evidently. It leaks onto the exhaust and I get a nose full of burning oil when I exit the truck. Too bad. It's a beautiful black truck, I would expect to get 500,000 miles out of it easily. I don't know how long I'll contend with the hot oil smell. I love Chev's, but we'll see what happens.

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8L from North America

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 4.8L Automatic
Previous carToyota Pickup

Summary:

Don't buy a Chevy; biggest mistake I ever made

Shoot, where do I start. Everybody please read this so you don't make the same mistake that I made in being patriotic and buying American.

1st off, it has electrical gremlins where the dome light would not turn off, and nor would one of the headlights. Took it to the dealer. Biggest waste of time ever. They couldn't find the problem and gave me the run around. Poor customer service for GM: 0/10.

The brake master cylinder went out a total of three times when I owned the truck. Couldn't believe it. What a piece of crap? 3 times! One at 40k, then at 70k ish, and then around at 98k.

Guess what, the auto transmission went out at 90k. That cost me $1500 to rebuild.

Finally around 108k, the engine started to make funny noises and idle erratically, I had enough of this. Then I sold the truck. "Like a rock" is right. It ain't going places.

Oh yeah, the shocks were shot around 90k also. I think that's too soon, but it could be normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

I bought this truck because I needed a full size truck for work, and Toyota at the time didn't have a true full size truck. Just got an 08 Tundra.

The truck ran smoothly for the time I had it despite its problems. But too many things started to go wrong, and I could not afford the downtime the Chevy was creating for me, so I got rid of it due to economic reasons.

Hope this helps. Please use my experience as your own learning experience. I recommend it.

Review Date: 28th February, 2008

13th Jul 2008, 11:23

I think its obvious this guy likes Toyota. I had a Toyota pickup back in 1986 that cost me thousands in repair bills for engine, suspension. I will NEVER own another Toyota. I currently own a 2001 Chevy with 105,000 mile. I have not had ANY problems with it. I maintain my vehicles properly and they last a long time, Except not the Toyota.