1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD 5.7L V8 from North America

Summary:

Love it!

So far, the fuel pump went out on the Tahoe last Sept. I replaced it with little cost in parts vs what a shop wanted to do it.

I have replaced the tires this year, after putting over 20,000 miles on the old ones.

I replaced the brakes on the front end.

I replaced the radiator and the distributor on it about two months ago.

I love this thing. I can run 80-90 miles an hour on the freeway if I want to; I don't, but have just to see how well it would run. It drifts a little, but when you're driving a vehicle that weighs 2 1/2 tons and stands up so high from the ground, it's a matter of drag from the wind at high speeds. On a windy day it floats a little, but hell it's an SUV; I don't know of one that doesn't, even the high end BMWs, Porsche, Cadillac, and Denalis do; even brand new ones.

As for the braking problem, they put too small of a rotor on the front end for a vehicle that weighs so much. If they would have switched to say a 14 inch disc brake instead of the 9-9 1/2 inch ones on it, you could stop it faster, but it's not a sports car, and it definitely isn't meant to be driven like one.

I don't like the brake system, but I have made adjustments in my stopping time to compensate for it, and I change my brake pads every 20,000 miles. Buy the lifetime ones at Auto Zone, and it cost $23 bucks, and you never have to pay it again. They are the easiest set of disc brakes I have ever changed on a vehicle, and believe me, I've changed a lot!

I think it should have a bigger motor, and some sort of help braking from the transmission.

All and all, it's a great truck, and I'll drive mine till the wheels fall of as they say.

Review Date: 5th June, 2012

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.7 gasoline from North America

Summary:

Overall, this vehicle is a lemon. But it's my lemon

Love hate relationship... that's how I would explain my '99 Tahoe!

Bought it in January 2000, 15,000 miles. Love at first sight. Bought it in Florida, then drove it home to CT... pulled in the driveway, put it in reverse, and nothing. Tranny went.

About 6 months later, fuel pump...

Needless to say, it now had 80,000 miles, and within just a couple of years, my radio lights went.

Seat belts in the front started to fray.

Always problems with battery corrosion.

New alternator in '04.

Water pump in '06.

2006 with 167,000 miles, NEW ENGINE!

'08 problems with pulleys, serpentine belt and tensioner.. these were regularly maintained. Still squeaks on and off. Drives me crazy.

09-2010 Still problems with tensioner pulley.

'09 rebuilt alternator...

'09 transmission rebuilt.

'09 transmission gaskets leaking.

Door hinges on driver's side have been replaced 5 times since '06.

Rear barn door gaskets leak.

2010 A/C compressor replaced.

2010 ABS doesn't stop well in snow. Never has, never will.

Now to enter the new year of 2011. Fuel pump needs replacing AGAIN! 204,000 MILES... Only about 40,000 on the new engine. Tensioner still not right!

Barn door pins busted... since '07 the dealership states you have to replace whole door to fix... so I guess I will make my own door pin.

There is so much more that has gone wrong. It is always maintained. And will always be the 2nd love of my life. And I will always be a Chevy fan for life.. but Chevy really should take a look at the problems. And should fix the common things that occur.

General Comments:

I absolutely love my Tahoe! It handles like a dream, and can swing into a parking spot as if it had a mind of it own. Turning radius is amazing for a vehicle of its size and height. Now you understand my love hate relationship.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2011