1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Reviews - Page 2 of 10

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.7 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Tahoe

Summary:

Great family/rec/work/travel vehicle

Nothing has went wrong with my Tahoe at all. Just general maintenance, brakes, battery etc. Best car ever owned.

General Comments:

Best car I have owned out of 22 different models of vehicles. Will own one for the rest of my life.

Review Date: 19th December, 2010

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.7 Vortec from North America

Engine and transmission 5.7 Vortec Automatic
Most recent distance190000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Tahoe

Summary:

Great car

I have owned 3 Chevy Tahoes, one 2 door, and 2 4 doors. Every one of my Tahoes has been lifted and modified in someway, shape, or form.

My latest 1999 Tahoe, a four door of course, has now had 3 motors put into it, about 5 4l60e transmissions put into it, 3 transfer cases put into it, 3 rear axles put into it, and two front diff, not including all the high performance suspension parts put on, or the lift kit put on.

I've change the alternator about 17 times, and the power steering pump just as many times.

I've replaced the water pump 3 times, and all of the front engine accessories.

Had numerous distributors and ignition related problems.

Had to replace the drive shaft about 15 times.

Right after I got done with all that work, which was in about a 4 month timespan, the cads went out and the O2 sensors, and then the pass-lock sensor, and then the ECU.

I've replaced the whole interior, and just about everything on the exterior, and stuff just keeps breaking, no matter what I do, but the best part of it is now that I've replaced everything, it's now all under warranty, so it's free to fix, and all it takes is a little bit of labor.

I've done all the fixing myself, and I absolutely love this Tahoe. Yeah it's a lemon, and it breaks all the time and costs a lot, but I've put the truck through hell and back, including driving through a pond.

General Comments:

Great truck.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2010

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe from North America

Most recent distance152000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Corvette

Summary:

Wish they still made them

Wouldn't start. Thought it was the fuel pump. Replaced it, but found it was only a leak, and the mechanic fixed it.

General Comments:

Love this Tahoe. I'm used to a small car, but I quickly got over that, as it gets me through all winter weather! We purchased a second Tahoe, and love it just as much.

My only complaint is that I go to work in the dark, and I wish the radio had lights to see the panel for the CD player.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2010

2nd Sep 2010, 15:24

They do still make them, but I wish they've still made them in the 1992-99 body style (that was my favorite body style of the Tahoe's/Yukon's), I don't really like the newer body style all that much.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.7 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Most recent distance191000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Chevy needs to step it up

I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 4x4. I bought it with 180,000 miles. So far I had to replace the fuel pump - $300.

My door handles on the driver and passenger are broken.

The windows only roll up on the driver's side.

Underneath the hood, I have a leak from the heater hoses that I have replaced 2 times.

The timing is off; that is another problem I'm having.

If given a choice, I would drive this truck off a cliff!!!

Review Date: 31st July, 2010

2nd Aug 2010, 19:15

"The windows only roll up on the driver's side."

How do you know they only roll up if you can't roll them down?...

26th Apr 2011, 23:40

Let me quote this "I bought it with 180,000" and you've only had a handful of problems? You should be happy that's all that's gone wrong.

Chairmn.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 from North America

Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 5.7L V8 Don't Know
Previous carChevrolet Silverado

Summary:

Great comfort, but not great on gas

None yet.

General Comments:

Drives nice.

Well taken care of.

Easy to fix if you know someone who works at a dealership and can get cheap parts.

Review Date: 10th June, 2010

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS from North America

First year of ownership2010
Previous carCadillac Eldorado

Summary:

I love my Tahoe, and it loves me back because I maintain it!

I bought this truck after it had been sitting in the previous owner's driveway for years. He replaced the alternator at 85,000.

Problems to date:

Replaced front pinion seal (probably due to it sitting in a snow pile in a driveway so long). Cost $125.00.

Plastic hood release handle broke, $28.00.

Outside drivers door handle - $25.00.

Inside center storage compartment handle broke - not yet estimated cost to fix.

Rear license plate bulb - again, sat too long in the snow bank.

Needs new aluminum rims - showing white pitting and salt like build up - looks bad.

Replaced fuel filter at 87,000. The car still has 87,000 on it.

My brother's a mechanic at a Chevy dealer. He recommends the following:

Dump the orange/reddish stock radiator antifreeze as it eats the intake gasket - replace with green antifreeze - stay away from the emissions /environmental saving junk fluid - go basic green. This could be the reason for all you poor souls having to do expensive repairs - gasket related.

Change your fuel filter every 30k like the manual says - it's easy - I did it myself with some basic wrenches. This will put less stress on your fuel pump - which runs on electric.

I run midgrade fuel, and never let my gas tank go below 1/4 full; it's easier on the pump to deliver the fuel.

Dump your transmission fluid every every 50k like the manual says.

General Comments:

I love my Tahoe!

I have a friend who has 279,000; only major problem, he had to replace a water pump so far. You know why? In chapter 7 page six of the 1999 Tahoe manual. it says "be sure to follow the complete scheduled maintenance on the following pages". He follows his maintenance schedule in the owners manual perfectly - there's a reason they spent the money to print it and put it in the book. You can't expect not to have things break, and yeah some of you got a lemon. But keep on top of the service to your Tahoe, and it should perform great!

The plastic handles that break are cheap to replace. They are a petroleum based product and are especially sensitive to extreme weather conditions - I leave my windows cracked in the heat to prevent too much interior heat; park in a garage if possible.

Wash your vehicle - all that dirt gets in the mechanics.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2010