1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 5.7 from North America

Summary:

This is a solid SUV, and when compared to other makes, it stands tall above the rest

Driver seat is wearing. Never had any major problems.

General Comments:

Has expected power and towing. Push button 4x4 is awesome and never misses a beat.

All the city people who don't know how to take care of a Chevy, have earned their outrageous dealer repair bills. If you think you have problems with this vehicle, then go buy a Ford and find out just how good you had it the hard way!!!

Review Date: 27th February, 2010

28th Feb 2010, 08:42

It's good to see that Chevy did build ONE good vehicle. You're very lucky to have gotten it.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe from North America

Summary:

I think it's a great truck

The only problem I have had with the truck is it just shut down like it ran out of gas 5 days ago, it has gas pressure all the way up to the manifold. I'm being told it's my fuel shut off solenoid, or vapor locked. Can't be vapor locked, it's been sitting for 5 days. Other than than it's a great truck.

General Comments:

Truck runs very well on and off the road.

Review Date: 10th April, 2009

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 5.7 from North America

Summary:

Very good SUV overall, but with some quality issues

4X4 control module bad - 400 miles.

Intake manifold leak - 100,000 miles.

Coolant coupler leak - 100,000 miles.

Water leak rear side window - 5,000 miles.

Sun visor vanity mirror hinge broken (driver and passenger sides).

Power door lock actuators bad (driver and passenger sides) - 85,000 miles.

Fuel pump quit working - 70,000 miles.

General Comments:

Overall I really like my '99 2-door 4X4 Tahoe. I special ordered it from Military Auto Sales when I was in the navy. Haven't seen another one exactly like it yet... it is an LS, two-tone paint with sunset gold over charcoal. It's good looking, has lots of power and is pretty comfortable.

At 80,000 miles I had a Rancho 3" suspension lift installed. Rides a lot stiffer than stock but now clears 33" tires. Everything else is stock.

Had some problems that are common with this model, but nothing catastrophic or that left me stranded (Fuel pump almost did... worked just long enough to let me limp home the last 6 miles.)

I've had to replace the battery, alternator and water pump, all between 65K and 75K miles, but those are items that are expected to wear out.

The one major complaint I have is that I have to replace the front brake pads every 12,000 miles or so. That's way too often, even for a lifted 4X4 with 33's. I've had the truck for 9 years and will probably hold onto it for at least another 5 years. Except for the intake manifold leak, I performed all the repair work and also perform all the routine maintenance on this vehicle.

Review Date: 18th October, 2008

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.7L 350 V8 from North America

Summary:

This is a very well built and designed vehicle

2006 rear diff cover cracked.

2004 push botton 4wheel drive stopped working (bad wire)

2008 interior window trim started to rot.

General Comments:

Other than the minor problems I have had, this is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

What people need to realize is that if you don't take care of your vehicle and do regular maintenance on it, you are going to have problems.

If you don't want to have any problems with a vehicle then don't drive one.

Review Date: 5th October, 2008

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.7 liter V8, 350 cu in. from North America

Summary:

This truck is a piece of crap!

Battery= $100

Distributor Cap= $10

Rotor= $10

Exhaust manifolds= $300

Brakes= $500.

Total= Approx. $5,000 (in two years)

General Comments:

This truck is a money pit. I've had it for a little over two years and I have put over $5,000 in it, not including regular maintenence. These Chevy's are absolute pieces of garbage. I actually went out and bought a Honda, just so I didn't have to keep driving my Tahoe all the time. I like driving the truck, when it's running well, which is never. The truck is falling apart and it was a one owner truck that was in perfect condition. Now, it needs a fuel pump, radiator, and my three month old transmission is leaking again. This truck is a waste of money. GM should be embarrassed. I have too much in it to get rid of it.

Review Date: 5th September, 2008

5th Sep 2008, 20:42

I must admit I am not a GM fan, however I believe your review of this truck is somewhat unfair. You bought this truck when it was seven years old and had 125000 miles on it and yet you complain about replacing maintenance items such as spark plugs, brakes, tires and plug wires... As far as the transmission is concerned, had it been properly maintained? Did you have a mechanic inspect the truck prior to purchase?

I know hind sight is 20/20, but you would have been better satisfied to have taken the purchase price of this vehicle plus $5000 and bought something newer.

5th Sep 2008, 22:29

Well, you bought a GM. GM should be embarrassed. About everything they've built in the last 40 years, as a matter of fact. No wonder they lose billions every year. People can go buy an import and have a car or truck that isn't a disposable joke.

25th Nov 2008, 14:30

In response to the first comment: I bought the truck from a car dealer that I've bought four other cars from. I just spoke to him today and we decided that I must have got that 1 in 100 Tahoe that is junk. I have every oil change, gas fill-up, and repair on record for this truck and it's still junk. So trust me, I did everything I could. And by the way, it's sitting out in front of my house right now, broke down, with a bad fuel pump. Not to mention I just had to replace the cats and manifolds. So you can add $2,000 to my previous total. I have too much into it to sell. Thank God for my cheap little Honda.

17th Apr 2009, 23:01

Battery, alternator, brakes, tires, spark plugs, and spark plug wires are all normal items that tend to go out around 120,000-150,000 miles.

How does an air intake break? How does an exhaust manifold go bad? I have a Tahoe with 287,000 miles on it and I've never had major issues with it except for the rear A/C lines and a bad transmission at 80,000 miles (still on 2nd transmission).

18th Apr 2009, 14:44

Yet another reviewer who buys a high mileage vehicle and blames the manufacturer.

Do you expect a lifetime warranty?