17th Jul 2011, 13:33

It's the fuse.

5th Sep 2011, 12:53

Having downloaded the service manual, there is no drain plug, you did the right thing. Cheers.

Here's the link: http://www.mymatiz.com/manual

12th Sep 2011, 15:58

Same thing happened to my wife's car.

It cost me £16 for the gasket set, and 2 and a half hours of my time to do. £350 is a bit steep.

13th Nov 2011, 14:21

Hi, my Daewoo Matiz does the same thing; cuts out. It's been in the garage twice now to have a CV joint fixed. Full exhaust plus cat converter. Did you get yours fixed, and what was wrong with it?

13th Nov 2011, 14:43

I bought my Daewoo Matiz 4 weeks ago. Within 48 hours I had the tracking done. A week later CV joint done. Then full exhaust, plus cat converter. And last night, the battery come up on the dash. Then the lights dimmed, then the car stopped. Now this morning nothing. My neighbour gave me a jump start that lasted 3 minute, then it went dead, and then I noticed water leaking from underneath. Help!!!

18th Nov 2011, 18:28

We had this.. turned out to be a stone stuck in the brake caliper.

16th Feb 2012, 12:54

Hi,

I have a 1999 Matiz, and I bought this in 2008 2nd hand.

The body of the car was bad, but the engine was very good. I just changed the oil, oil filter and air filter. Later I changed the battery. But soon after battery replacement, the car went dead. Thought that it was because of bad battery, but it was because of charger dynamo/rectifier. I had replaced the rectifier in the dynamo, and now for 4 years this car has been good.

At first I was only getting 13.5 per liter (driving conditions - I drive at an average of 80-90 KMPH, with a top speed of 150 on the outer ring road), but recently I have done a complete painting and tinkering, and it looks like a new car. Spent Rs.40,000 and replaced the spark plug and plug wires, and the distributor cap (which has the carbon tip). And now it's giving me 15 KMPL with the A/C on in city drives.

I have recently bought another Matiz (special series) 2001 model with power steering and power windows for my dad. This has got the same choking while I drive at more than 60 KMPH. I have dismantled the petrol pump, and found that there was rust in it. And now the choking is little less.

I am going to replace the petrol filter and service the fuel injectors, which will fix the problem. Or else need to check if there are any other timing issues or have the ECM checked (computer check for Rs:500). Will keep you all posted after I fix the issue.

Overall, this is a very good small car compared with other small cars in India. It's strong, spacious and offers good mileage (practical mileage with the A/C on and in city drives).

You need to have interest in technical stuff if you want to own any car. That will help you in maintaining such MPFI engines.

Note: to improve mileage, replace the air filter and check the O2 filter.

3rd Sep 2012, 10:31

Bought a Matiz in Feb. this year. Biggest mistake of my life; nothing but problems. Need it for work as I'm a carer. Thought it would be cheap to run, but now it's started losing water! Haven't got the money to get it looked at as I'm a single parent :(

20th Nov 2012, 06:23

I would say the white smoke coming from the exhaust is actually steam, and that is where your cooling liquid is going, out of the exhaust pipe. This means the head gasket needs to be replaced.

18th Jan 2013, 16:47

Hello there. As silly as this sounds, I have a Matiz, and my daughter has a one too. Her gear box was a total nightmare. We honestly thought the gearbox had gone!! To our surprise, we took it to our friend who is a mechanic; the clutch needed adjusting, which he did, and it's running 100% better.

Regards, Jan.

4th Apr 2013, 20:10

Do you still have it :) ?

15th Jan 2014, 15:26

A head gasket for these cars only costs 19 pounds sterling, and is a 2 hour job to replace. I had the head gasket, water pump, tensioner and timing belt replaced for 180 pounds including parts.

28th Jul 2014, 15:04

Hi. The Daewoo Matiz is a nice car to be honest. I drove a 99 model for 9 months, and used to do at least 100 miles a week.

Unfortunately my coolant was empty. I filled it up and the next day it was flashing on my dashboard. I didn't bother, and drove it for 2 days, and also I drove on the M1. There was heavy smoke and my car switched off. I took it to a garage; head gasket had gone, would cost me £500, I bought the car for £500, so no point investing in it. I scrapped it and got £150.

So it's better to scrap your car.