2002 Dodge Caravan Reviews

2002 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

Not good enough quality wise

Automatic door lifts replaced due to failure. Also front door actuators replaced.

Solenoid on automatic gearbox replaced.

Some minor recall problem was fixed at the dealers.

Door open light stays on, causing horn alarm to activate at random unless I disconnect the battery. I have seen a comment that this was subject to a lifetime recall, but cannot find out how. The dealer never mentioned any such recall when I tried to book a repair (cancelled that).

General Comments:

Average fuel consumption figures for a minivan with a large engine.

The problems with the doors etc make me want to find a better make of car. Probably a Toyota Sienna, though they cost more; we need an AWD minivan.

Dodge are very disappointing for having so many issues with electrical parts.

Review Date: 16th July, 2011

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport 3.2 liter from North America

Engine and transmission 3.2 liter Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

I have never owned a better vehicle

Emission problem, dealer fixed for free at 27,000 miles.

Passenger side door auto lock stopped working at 170,000 miles.

And no others problems (seriously).

General Comments:

This car has slowly but steadily worked its way up to the best vehicle I have ever owned. It has been flawless in performance, reliability and comfort, and at 6ft 3in comfort was important.

I recently went through a horrific snow storm in Southern Delaware (2010) and the vehicle performed admirably. I would have NEVER thought the vehicle could take that kind of pounding on unplowed roads and come out still working, and it NEVER got stuck once (front wheel drive). It was a true testament to the engineers at Dodge. Mind you, this was at 170,000 miles. I've used it as a personal and business vehicle, which the removable seats made possible. I would buy another one in a second, BRAVO!!

Review Date: 7th May, 2010

2002 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Good value van if it is well maintained

Transmission was rebuilt by the previous owner. I have had the transmission fluid changed by removing the cover (not flushing) since I got it, and I check the fluid every week.

I had some vacuum hose leaks that caused the check engine light to come on. I replaced the battery before it was correctly diagnosed, but it was due for a new battery anyways.

The power steering is kind of noisy when you stop. I replaced the fluid.

Had the front brake rotors and pads replaced at 110,000 Km. The rear brakes were fine.

Had the fuel filter replaced recently, which was more expensive than most vehicles, since they had to lower the gas tank to get at it.

General Comments:

The van has been reliable so far.

It is in good shape with no rust or paint problems. The previous owner had Rust Check treatments done every year. I had it done once since I got it, perhaps every second or third years will do.

It likes to stop at gas stations, but I can't complain too much because the van was a bargain and I have had few problems so far with it.

Make sure you are completely stopped before shifting the automatic transmission, and change the fluid every couple years with a Caravan.

Review Date: 10th December, 2009

2002 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 3.3L Automatic

Summary:

This car has been amazingly reliable

Transmission lock-up at 70000 (common).

Radiator leak at 120000.

Rear bearing at 130000.

General Comments:

This car is running fine at 170,000 miles. It has never been kept indoors, always parked out in the weather with lots of snow, no rust anywhere.

Original exhaust, original battery, original plugs, original serpentine belt, original alternator, etc.

Ran engine on Mobil-1 from the beginning, it now uses no oil. Everything works.

I work on cars, have done all the work on this myself (dealer warranties always seem to be useless anyway), but I haven't had to do much. This is amazing to me, this car just doesn't die.

Got a 2005 now as I just don't trust a car that old on long trips, selling it on craigs list. The 2005 will be my 4th Grand Caravan. Raised 5 kids in these.

Review Date: 26th November, 2009