2002 Dodge Caravan Reviews - Page 5 of 6

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport d/k from North America

Engine and transmission d/k Automatic
Previous carMercury Villager

Summary:

Reliable, safe, great for families

We've had very few problems; all were covered by warranty.

General Comments:

This is a very reliable, dependable family minivan. It's gotten us through multiple family trips in comfort. The main complaint I have is with the rear heat/AC controls. The venting above the passengers puts out minimal air flow. It eventually heats up/cools down sufficiently due to large vents behind back-row seats, but that doesn't do much when you're only taking a 15-minute trip. Also, handling isn't as "car-like" as our previous minivan, a 1995 Mercury Villager that my husband continues to drive and treat like a pickup truck. And of course, with gas prices where they are today, it's kind of tough to keep filling the tank, but what are you gonna do?

Review Date: 12th June, 2004

2002 Dodge Caravan Sport 3.3 from North America

Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Any Dodger dealer should be able to fix their products air conditioning or folks just will not buy!

The air conditioning is the main problem. It does not get cold when at an idle. This makes "sitting in traffic very bad". We have had the compressor replaced and some relays, but the problem still exists. Last time we brought it to the dealer, they tightened something under the passengers feet to stop fluid from linking. I have about 800 miles left on the warranty.

General Comments:

I like many of the features, but when you pay $28,000 for a vehicle and are making payments of $725 a month, you would like it to run perfect. You would like not to have to put money into it while making these payments. Please e-mail me at pianoman@1st.net if anyone else has these problems and know how to get them fixed.

Review Date: 10th July, 2003

2002 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3 from North America

Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Great power and handling, Great van

Nothing, but I had one flat tire.

General Comments:

Great Van! I would recommend buying. Excellent driver visibilty, this is an important feature for my 5'2" wife. Van is just the right size, although it could use another 3" in the rear compartment so a stroller would fit better, however we can still get it in there. Drives great, much better than other vans we looked at. I think this is the perfect soccer mom vehicle.. I know Americans like to have the biggest and the "best", but this van drives and handles much better than the bloated Odyssey and Windstar. You hardly know you're driving a minivan.

Review Date: 1st January, 2003

7th Jan 2004, 20:54

Just traded-in my '96 Windstar for a used 2002 Caravan SE V6 at the CarMax in Vegas, test drived the Caravan & Chrysler van, the Chrysler Van was fully-loaded, but it handled too heavy like my old Windstar, I chose the Caravan instead for $2500 less than the Chrysler. My wife is 5 foot Asian and she loves it too. By the way, CarMax was great!! they work on flat commission, no more pushy salesman.

2002 Dodge Caravan Grand EX V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic

Summary:

A piece of garbage that kills!

Everything.

Transmission @ 998km.

Head gasket @1024km.

Engine @ 5020km.

Power steering @ 4502km.

General Comments:

One day while I was driving, the airbag suddenly uninflated and I almost had an accident.

Brakes are POOR!

The radio sucks!

I'm glad I got rid of this van and bought me an Astro a month ago!

Review Date: 12th December, 2002

20th Feb 2005, 15:49

My 2002 Caravan is an abomination. Engine O.K. Transmission ate a pump at 28,000 miles. Repeated episodes of ABS problems and of front calipers locking up.

I have never had a more troublesome car (fortunately).

31st May 2005, 17:39

998k?

998,000 kilometers (or miles) is pretty good where I come from.

23rd Sep 2005, 15:41

If I had an engine that ran 5 million miles or kilometers I would not feel unfortunate to have to put money back it to it. Perhaps the original owner should clarify his original time intervals.

--GCC in Quad Cities IL.

19th Jul 2006, 17:25

Keep in mind that he probably means km when the reviewer says "k." In Canada, we abbreviate in our talking and refer to kilometers as "k's." I highly doubt this reviewer was upset about problems experienced in his vehicle after several million kilometers of driving.