2002 Dodge Caravan Reviews - Page 4 of 6

2002 Dodge Caravan from North America

Engine and transmission Don't Know

Summary:

Stay clear!!

This van was SCARY! Power steering hoses went 3 times before they admitted to a recall. The price to fix was nothing. Time away from work lots..etc.. Tires seemed to wear down in front of my eyes. (3 sets in 70.000 miles. The water pump went and the rad as well.) It needed tranny work and the rack was leaking when I almost gave it away to a dealer. Front end always clunking and this was one car I tried to baby along!Good Luck with this one!

Review Date: 2nd March, 2007

3rd Mar 2007, 09:47

We have a 2002 Grand Caravan. Overall we have been pretty happy with this car, so I can’t agree with the title of this review. We also had the P/S hoses replaced twice under recall, but never had a failure. We have not had any problems with tire wear. Currently on second set of tires at 79,000 miles and they are still in good shape. No cooling system problems, but we do have a small transmission leak. It just seeps a little bit in cold temperatures – not worth fixing. The front end clunking is a common problem and a good mechanic who knows this vehicle will replace the swaybar bushings for less than $150.

2002 Dodge Caravan SE from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

I paid for this one, now I wouldn't take one for free.

Air bag light on @ 15,000km.

Replaced window motor @ 28,000km.

Complaint of front end problems @61,000km nothing found.

Repair door strikers @ 77,000km.

Inspect front suspension nothing found.

Inspect power steering nothing found.

Inspect power steering @ 79,000km replaced recalled hoses, rack and pinion also replaced.

Follow up visits due to front end @80,000, 82,000, 82,300km.

Windshield wiper, radio, speakers @82,000 & 82,300km.

Heater motor, window motor, radio, wipers @84,000km.

Wipers,radio @86,000km.

Windows @93,000km.

Steer gear @107,500km.

Transmission leak @114,00km

Transmission solenoid @117,000km (another leak)

Window motor again @125,000km.

Rack & pinon again @135,000km 25,000km less life than the first one.

General Comments:

Don, t mind the drive when the vehicle is functioning properly, too many annoying electrical problems, hard on brake rotors on my third set now, parts don't seem to last 55,000km on a rack & pinon seems very low to me. When this ones gone there will never be another Chrysler owned by me.

Review Date: 5th December, 2006

2002 Dodge Caravan SE from North America

Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Worst car I have ever owned. Never again

My air conditioner is broken, I have taken it in 3 times, still doesn't work.

My transmission went out twice in three months.

My power window died over a year ago, have taken it in 4 times, still doesn't work.

Arm rest has fallen off of front passenger seat.

Lock fell off of driver side rear door.

Power steering had to be fixed multiple times.

General Comments:

Major piece of junk! Spend the extra money and buy a Toyota, save yourself the headaches.

Review Date: 16th September, 2006

2002 Dodge Caravan from North America

Previous carIsuzu Rodeo

Summary:

I would not buy another Caravan

The lower power steering hoses have blown out on 2 separate occasions while I was driving. The lower power steering hoses have now been replaced 4 times and the upper hoses once.

General Comments:

The van has been in with the dealer for repairs (under warranty)a total of 11 times in 29 months.

Review Date: 15th February, 2005

25th May 2005, 16:31

A? Try a different brand of steering pump hose.

5th Dec 2006, 17:10

Warranty claims are done by the dealerships who replace the parts that are warrantied with the original part that was installed unless a recall states otherwise. These hoses were a recall item and the flaw should have been addressed. My hoses were done just once, but I'm on my second Rack & Pinion assembly in 135,000 kilometers the first one lasted 80,000 under extended warranty the second 55,000 this one I get the benefit of paying for. This is just one part of my list, but the Caravan I have now is the last one that will ever be parked in my driveway.

5th Dec 2006, 19:31

We also have a 2002 Grand Caravan. Overall, we are pretty happy with it at 75,000 miles. Maintenance costs (tires, brakes etc.) have been very reasonable. Two repairs so far: $500 emissions system and $130 sway-bar bushings. The power steering hoses were replaced under two recalls, but we never had a problem with them. Recently our P/S system was getting extremely noisy especially when cold. I topped off the fluid level from the “low end” of full range to the top of the full line and the noise has gone away. I suggest everyone check this before replacing any expensive parts.