1995 Dodge Dakota Base 3.9L V6 238 cubic inch from North America

Summary:

I could have done worse

BAD FUEL ECONOMY ONLY GOT WORSE!! When I bought it, it averaged about 16 in town and 20 highway. That plummeted when I started driving from out of town on the weekends to visit family. Putting on about 150 miles per week, it dropped to 12 on the highway, and maybe 9 or 9.5 in town.

Was leaking transmission fluid, bad rear main seal; that was pretty costly.

Clear coating was a joke; most cars look better after a rain or a car wash.... this one looked worse.

Seal around the passenger door let in water, as did the seal around the back glass.

Cruise control vacuum line was busted when I bought the truck.

I never liked the styling of this truck. It seemed to look generic.

The engine was pretty easy to work on, but the rest of it really wasn't. For example, the latch for the glove compartment was stuck, keeping the door closed. To replace that latch, I had to buy another door with the hinges and the paneling with the cigarette lighter and the ashtray.

General Comments:

Not at all the best truck around. It didn't have the abilities of a 1/2 ton, even though its MPG rivaled some 3/4 tons. Pretty reliable, but there are definitely better choices out there.

Review Date: 29th April, 2013

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport from North America

Summary:

Great truck, would buy another, recommend truck to others

Rusted front fenders, front bumper, and rear fenders.

Brakes gave out.

Driver's side seat has a tear on the side.

General Comments:

Truck is very reliable, good on gas.. about 20-22 mpg.

Have owned 2; a 94 and 95, never had any major problems other than rust, but that's because I live in snow country... it is 2 wheel drive and I can go everywhere everybody else goes.. good power, pulling power, speed, acceleration, payload is shockingly high... have had about a ton in the back, and it still went fine.

Overall, a good truck..

Review Date: 11th February, 2011

12th Apr 2012, 09:07

I have owned a 1995 Dodge Dakota Magnum V8 318 since 30,000 miles ago. It has over 207,000 miles on it, and still runs and looks great. The best vehicle I have ever owned!!!

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 from North America

Summary:

Dodge's biggest failure so far

Water pump went out at 177,000, and caused the radiator to bust.

Alternator failed at around 180,000.

Oil pump went not too far after.

Wiring harness caught fire at 194,000.

Transmission failed at 194,000 miles also.

General Comments:

Great pulling power. I have pulled over 8,000 lbs countless times with it.

Not the fastest. Stock with only 180 hp.

Comfortable. Seats up to 6 people, but only about 4 with leg room left over.

Nice looking, but lacks backbone, and for the entire time I had it, I was only able to pass people who were going far below the speed limit.

A HUGE waste of time and money

Review Date: 6th February, 2011

6th Feb 2011, 16:09

You must have loved driving it though - 26k in one year?

6th Feb 2011, 20:05

Sorry but this truck had nearly 200K on it and you're complaining that the tranny went after you said you pulled over 8 thousand pounds numerous times with a V6?

Ayaya.

22nd Jan 2013, 21:12

Those parts are normally replaced around that many miles.

19th Apr 2013, 23:35

Of course things like tranny and water pump are going to break; you have close to 200,000 miles on it. That's what happens to any car. 100,000 miles is what we would consider 65 years old in human years. What I do is notice when parts are getting bad, and replace them before they blow up.

1995 Dodge Dakota Extended Cab 3.9 Magnum V6 from North America

Summary:

Not a Caddy, but not a lemon

This thing burns gas. When I first got the pick-up, I was getting around 20-21 mpg highway, however in the past 4 or 5 months, that number has dropped to 14-15 mpg. I have ran injection cleaner through it, replaced the spark plugs, and even ran higher grade gasoline in it, but to no avail. The fuel filter I would check, and probably change, but it is in the gas tank!

Now other than that, there are minor wear issues; it takes a while, and sometimes a try or two, to turn over on colder mornings, and the pick-up is losing its get up and go quickly.

General Comments:

It's really not a bad little work truck. It can be a bit hard headed, but it does go. You won't arrive in style or class, but it has never left me stranded!

I can tell it's in the last stages of its life. I don't expect it to reach 200000 miles. The low windshield washer fluid light stays on. It rattles badly while stopped and in gear. The speedometer is off; working, but off. The gas gauge wiggles about aimlessly. It doesn't like to downshift, however when it does shift, it's smoother than other 15 year old pick-ups I know.

It rides smoothly... for a truck.

I don't regret buying it.

Review Date: 12th December, 2010

15th Oct 2012, 13:02

Sounds like the bearings are going out. I had this problem at 115K miles - I hate the learning curve. Good truck otherwise.

1st May 2013, 21:42

I too had problems with the fuel economy, or lack thereof. It fared pretty well until I started putting on about 550 miles a month. At that point it decreased to the pre-teens at 60 or 65 mph, and an unmentionable single digit in town. I knew Dodge's weren't the easiest on gas, but I would have expected better from a '95 3.9L V6 with new plugs, wire, distributor cap and rotor, countless bottles of injection cleaner and octane booster. (And no! I never ran the A/C.)

I mean heck, the '87 D-100 with a 318 V8 did better.