1995 Dodge Dakota Sport 2.5L inline-four from North America

Summary:

A gutless wonder with a horrible electrical system; otherwise decent

Lost almost every electrical component in the cab due to a blown under-hood fuse.

The paint was burned off in places due to Hawaii's sun.

The catalytic converter developed a nasty rattle.

A previous owner had installed an aftermarket alarm system, which was an absolute pain in the neck.

The stock stereo was pathetic.

General Comments:

The electrical system was terrible.

Whoever decided a 4-cylinder should be offered in this truck obviously never drove one. Acceleration was slow at best, and even moderate hills required dropping it down into third gear. Of all the vehicles I've owned, only my Volkswagen Beetle was more lacking in power.

The upholstery and interior trim held up very well, suffering damage only from cigarette burns. The interior, however, looked very cheap.

The exterior was well-styled, but paint quality left something to be desired.

Overall, though, the Dakota was a decent truck -- but if I'd known about the electrical problems and pathetic engine, I'd have bought the S-10 that the dealer had.

Review Date: 15th October, 2008

1995 Dodge Dakota V6 Magnum from North America

Summary:

A good truck is only as good as its maintenance

Transmission slipped at one time, but the mechanic worked his magic and it's never done it since.

Windows (manual) stick slightly at times.

Door handles stick at times, till sprayed with wd-40.

Stock radio is piece of junk - replace if possible.

The brake lines on both Dodge trucks rusted and were replaced.

General Comments:

Truck accelerates quite well (V6 Magnum), 2 wheel drive, and the motor runs fine.

My last truck, a 1986 Dakoda, would turn over at a flick, whereas this one doesn't catch instantly.

Not great in the snow unless weight is in the back.

Roof lining drops down and has on both models. I poked a hole in the corner of each liner, and used a spray on glue and pushed the cloth liner up, and that solved the problem.

The only reason I bought another Dodge after ten years with the first one was due to an accident that totaled the truck with Bambi T. Deer. Otherwise the first truck would still be running strong.

Review Date: 29th March, 2008

10th Oct 2008, 14:25

I bought my 1995 Dodge Dakota new. The only trouble were brake lines and the air conditioner evaporator had to be replaced.

The only other comment I have is that I love my truck and will not give it up.

1995 Dodge Dakota V8 4X4 5.2 from North America

Summary:

Love it!!

Lets see. I've owned this truck for 5 years. Except for normal wear items, battery, tires, tune up (plugs wire filters, all fluids... all) etc, here are the things I have replaced;

Fuel pump.

One U-joint.

A brake line rusted through (New York winters). Since I believe strongly in prevention, I also changed both callipers, both wheel cylinders, all brakes and rear drums. (everything, but the master cylinder).

Muffler.

Ummmmm... that's it in 5 years and 40,000 miles.. not bad.

The auto transmisson has a hard time finding second gear... it has done that since I owned it. I just had the tranny flushed today, cause it's been 30,000 miles since the last fluid/filter change.

I religiously change oil at 3000 or less. It uses no oil, no leaks.

Oh, I have to recharge A/C every 2 years.

General Comments:

This is one of the best I've owned.

The best was a Chevy truck; the only reason this takes top honors is because it only cost 650, went through it and I put about 500 more into it the first week (1150 invested), and sold it 2 years later for 1500.

The other was a '73 340 Duster; same case, drove for a couple years and made money.

This Dakota is fantastic. Balls to spare, dependable, it has towed many friends and families cars to safety.. at 130K I feel totally secure taking it across country. It never fails me.

I love this truck. My brother in law is trying to get me to buy something newer, but I just can't part with it.

Gets 14/17 mpg in a V8 4X4; I'm happy.

Review Date: 4th October, 2007