1995 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 4 of 7

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
Engine and transmission 3.9L V6 Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

The Dakota is an excellent choice for a truck

Nothing has gone wrong with it. I've had absolutely no trouble so far given I have only put 9000 miles on it, but every other vehicle I've owned I've usually put a part or two in it by now.

General Comments:

Nice truck, good gas mileage. The 3.9L is a good engine. I had a 1992 Dakota LE as my first vehicle and I missed it so much because of its reliability. I just happened to find one with only 31,000 miles on it. Haven't had a problem yet. I love the interior, and the extra space from the club cab is nice I didn't have that option on my 92 LE. I also like the fact it has the optional 22gal fuel tank rather than the 15gal. All in all a nice truck. I didn't need a 4x4 (whats the point if you're not doing any off-roading?) and I'm not towing anything so I didn't need a V8 either. The V6 Magnum is a good engine, and gets decent gas mileage.

Review Date: 13th December, 2006

30th Jan 2011, 11:08

I have a 1995 Dakota SLT 4x4 with the 3.9, and it's a great truck. It gets decent gas mileage for being a 4x4. I bought it with 210,000 miles, and I believe everything on it is original. I replaced all tie rod ends, pitman arm & idler arm, and that's all I've done to it.

1995 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Extended Cab 3.8 liter Magnum V6 from North America

Model year1995
Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 3.8 liter Magnum V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired2000 miles
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

JUNK

This thing has been a lemon from the start. I am currently installing my SIXTH transmission in this piece of crap. I love the look, I love the comfort, but neither do you much good when it sits around most of the time as a yard ornament!

Yes it is an extended cab 4x4. No, it has NEVER been off-roading, nor has it ever pulled a trailer or carried a heavy load. It was used, gingerly, as everyday transportation. It has always been well maintained, and serviced as per the book.

Four of the transmissions were under warranty, the last one, and the one I am putting in now are out of my pocket. 6 tranmissions on a vehicle that only has 108,000 miles on it is RIDICULOUS! Hence, that's why I have only averaged 9,800 miles a year on it. For the first 2 years I had it, it spent as much time at the dealership as it did on the road! I contacted Dodge, they wouldn't return my calls. Call after call after call I made, and when I finally got ahold of somebody, what did they have to say??? Too bad, so sad...

General Comments:

Crappy paint... Falls off after it is out of warranty. Transmission SUCKS. Power is less than sub-par (I have a Nissan Sentra 4 cyl that will outrun the thing). I have never dared put a heavy load in it, because I know the transmission sucks, plus I doubt the weak rear springs could handle much more than a bicycle.

This is our second Dakota. The first was a long bed 1991 model. It was a superb truck. I sold it at 200,000 miles and it still ran like a top (I know the guy that owns it, and it is still running to this day). Granted, it looked like hell because the paint on it too fell off in 6" flakes as soon as the warranty on the paint ran out (Good paint there Dodge! Hell, next time use water colors!!), and I DID have to replace the transmission once. None the less, it was twice the truck this one is. It was faster, more reliable, and had much more "spunk". I should have sold this one and kept that one... my bad.

Bottom line, I'm moving back to Nissans. Never again will I buy a Dakota, or any other Lemon that Dodge creates...

Review Date: 25th September, 2006

17th Oct 2006, 14:56

Yeah, that sucks. My review is the one listed directly beneath yours, mine was perfect all the way through 115,000 miles until somebody totalled it for me. But, I have heard that '95 Dakota's were notorious for tranny problems, so I got lucky I guess. Yeah, your best bet is to go back to Nissan, Toyota, something that will last.