1995 Dodge Dakota Reviews - Page 2 of 7

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1994
Engine and transmission 3.9 V6 Automatic

Summary:

Great truck

Tranny went at 150,000 miles.

Fuel pump went at 179,000 miles.

General Comments:

Great truck, bought it used with 125,000 miles, had to replace the tranny at 150,000 miles, which from what I hear is really good. Used tranny and installation cost $500.

Just recently replaced fuel pump, $50 used.

A/C still works.

Replacing the rotors and pads tomorrow.

The truck runs excellent and has 179,000 miles.

Back seats are a little cramped, but it's usually just me in there, so I keep a bunch of stuff back there.

Ride is really comfortable. I would recommend this truck.

If you keep up regular maintenance, any vehicle can last a long time.

Also, great gas mileage for a truck, I can get up to 20mpg.

Review Date: 12th November, 2010

1995 Dodge Dakota 3.9 liter V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1995
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 3.9 liter V6 Manual
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen Jetta

Summary:

Great

Nothing has gone wrong with my car so far.

My horn didn't work when I got it.

My sunroof leaked, but I don't think it was stock.

Overall, nothing unfixable has gone wrong.

General Comments:

The pickup has nice acceleration, and is VERY comfortable in the front three seats, even the middle flip-up seat.

The only reason comfort is marked down is because of the lack of room in the back three seats, but I just use them as storage for all my extra junk, so it's OK.

The turning radius sucks, but who cares! It's a comfortable ride and I like it.

Review Date: 1st March, 2010

1995 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9 Magnum from North America

Year of manufacture1995
Engine and transmission 3.9 Magnum Automatic
Previous carChrysler LeBaron

Summary:

Not a real truck!!!

I bought this truck used, but it only had 105,000 miles on it, so I expected it to perform decently despite its age; most of my family has owned Dodge trucks, and never had a problem.

About 2,000 miles after I bought it, the transmission started slipping; that is what killed the last two vehicles I had before it.

At 110,000 miles, the fuel gauge quit working, soon to be followed by the oil gauge; it burned a small amount of oil, but nothing too serious.

Then, at 133,500 miles, trouble struck. The radiator blew up suddenly, it was a 25 degree day, when all of sudden, boom - and I was only going 35 mph! Thank god I wasn't on the interstate. I paid $300 to have it fixed, only to have the transmission completely fall apart the next day; I don't know if this was caused by the explosion of the radiator.

General Comments:

This truck was marketed as a mid-size truck, bigger than a small truck, smaller than a big truck. However, that said.

Good points:

Fuel consumption. On the highway, I averaged 23 mpg, in town, 17 mpg, which is excellent for a truck.

Even though it is 14 years old, there is no rust on this truck.

The engine itself was well-built, and continued to run with no problem, even with a destroyed radiator and transmission.

Bad points:

Completely anemic. Although not so bad in town, as soon as you approached hills, acceleration slacked, and on any real hills, you were lucky to crawl up them at 30 mph; I white-knuckled it on the interstate many times. This truck should have come with a standard V8; I can't even imagine what the performance on the 4 cyl. was like.

The transmission! This is the second Chrysler product I have owned, and once again, I have lost another good vehicle due to tranny problems. I am done with the company. How do they expect to stay in business when they can't build a good tranny?

The driver's side door wouldn't open after 130,000 miles, another ridiculous problem. Also, had trouble whenever it rained. Got stuck to many times to count.

Review Date: 15th January, 2009

19th Jan 2009, 10:28

I just hate it when an old high mileage gem breaks.

15th Sep 2010, 10:04

I have had my Dakota for going on 2 years and have had no major problems with it, but I can also feel the transmission going just like most of the other guys who have owned this truck. When I am in fifth and let off the gas you can hear a strange noise, but it's been like that since I got it and it hasn't been an issue so I don't know if that is normal or not.

Mine has well over 250,000 miles on it though and the engine is still strong. It has the 3.9 V6 in it and you can definitely feel it struggle going up any steep hills and you always have to downshift.

My clutch did go bad and let me sit once but that was an easy fix and I was only a mile from my house, but besides that it has always been reliable and is great in the snow and in the mud.

The body isn't the best and I had to replace both front fenders due to rust.