1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 5.2 V8 318 from North America

Summary:

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned

The tail light was broken.

Multiple lights burnt out.

Front bumper badly rusted.

Leaks when it rains.

Power window on the door is slow.

General Comments:

This has been the most solid vehicle I have ever owned.

I am very comfortable driving it, and even at 180000 plus miles, I would travel across country in it.

The gas mileage isn't great. I plan on fixing this truck up.

It tows my boat with ease.

Review Date: 14th April, 2010

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 5.2 V8 Magnum from North America

Summary:

This truck is sweet

Brake lines, calipers, tranny is starting to act up, rust on bumper (normal for dodge) ball joints replaced when I bought it.

General Comments:

This is a great truck. I love it. I take it off road almost every weekend in the summer and drive it pretty hard.

Mpg for my 5.2 is an average of 16 mpg, which the 3.9 and the 4.7 are pretty close to.

This truck only packs about 230hp, which is much different from my 420hp Cummins, but despite that 230hp it can still move. It can see 100mph easily and can smoke the tires all day long. It tows well too, just don't expect to win any races.

I only have 2 complaints:

One is the rough rear of the truck. The front end rides over bumps nicely and you can barely feel it, but when the back hits the bump, it feels like it came off the ground.

The other is the lack of aftermarket parts like suspension lifts and some other things. So far I have added a 3.5in dual exit magnaflow exhaust and it sounds great. I don't have the cat on anymore, which lets the 5.2 breath more, but even with it on it still sounds good.

I have 31 inch BFG's all terrains, which are wearing very nicely and still have lots of tread left.

Review Date: 6th May, 2009

24th Apr 2010, 12:50

My 97 Dakota rode better with a heavy load in the back, than it did empty. The traction in 2WD was not good, but I figure it's typical for a PU truck. The 4WD worked great and got me through lots of deep snow and bad roads. The tailgate didn't always latch, had to learn to check it every time I opened and closed it, but no big deal. Everything bad about the back half of the truck was typical of PU trucks, in my opinion. I had the 5.2L V8 4WD version. I never had a problem with the 4WD, except the light by the 4WD shifter burned out around 140,000 miles. No big deal. The rust progressed very fast. Watch out for rust. Bumpers in particular.

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 3.9L V6 from North America

Summary:

I have been very dissatisfied

32,193 Miles - Replaced fuel pump and tank level sensor (under warranty).

45,671 Miles - Rebuilt front brakes, replaced front rotors.

57,840 Miles - Replaced catalytic converter and spark plugs.

86,158 Miles – Replaced both Oxygen Sensors and spark plugs.

93,115 Miles – Replaced heater core, radiator expansion tank, thermostat and coolant.

100203 Miles – Replaced both cylinder heads (cracks between intake and exhaust valves).

101748 Miles – Complete overhaul of engine resulting from total loss of oil pressure. New rings, seals, gaskets, main, rod and cam bearings, boiled block, honed cylinders, new oil pump, spark plugs and cables, rotor and cap, installed lower temperature thermostat.

105689 Miles – Replaced broken throttle cable.

110040 Miles – Replace right and left front bearing hubs.

127897 Miles – Replaced oil pump and pressure sender.

130120 Miles – Requires new ball joints (top and bottom) and complete rebuild of rear end. Engine runs well and interior is in good shape.

General Comments:

I have been very disappointed by the frequency of failures I have experienced.

I would not willingly subject myself to another vehicle by this manufacturer.

Review Date: 20th August, 2006